Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Newbie Early Bird Check-In Questions

HawaiianGuy
Explorer C

First-time SWA traveler here with a question about Early Bird Check-In.  Since I will be traveling with only a Carry-on bag, does this mean that I can completely BYPASS the traditional Check-In counter, proceed to the assigned gate, and just fall in line at the gate when my Group is called with NO interaction whatsoever with the boarding gate desk, OR, do I still have to present my ID Credentials at some point to SWA personnel (aside from the TSA Agent)?  If so, at what point do I present my ID to SWA?  Also, if ALL overhead bins are full and I end up having to check my bag, can I pick up my bag upon arrival within the Jetway or do I have to go through the rigamarole of waiting for it at the baggage claim carousel?  Thanks All!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Newbie Early Bird Check-In Questions

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

If you aren't checking bags then you can use the self-service kiosks to print a boarding pass, or print at home, or mobile app. This would apply whether you used Early Bird or not.

Your question about gate check I'd have to defer. (I'm A-List and haven't ever had to gate check any regular luggage on Southwest, and before that I've always taken advantage of the two free checked bags instead of carrying on.) That said, since everyone gets two free checked bags, I think Southwest has a lower rate of gate checking than other airlines in general.

With Early Bird you should end up in the late A-group or early B-group and I would expect to have plenty of space for one carry on in the overhead bins at that time. I wouldn't be too nervous about that unless I was in the second C group.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

HawaiianGuy
Explorer C

Thank You, David!

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

Hi 

Print your boarding pass at home and if it has an A, B or C and number you can go straight to the gate thats it.  If you have to check your bag on the plane, they will give you a claim ticket and you pick it up at baggage claim.

HawaiianGuy
Explorer C

Thank You, Frank!