Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Newbie Early Bird Check-In Questions

Gabie1966
Explorer C

Thanks so much for this perspective.  I'm trying EBCI for the first time because I want to make sure my husband and I get to sit together on our upcoming trip.  On our last flight, I forgot to check in at the 24-hour mark and we were far enough back in the check in where we each had to have center seats several rows from each other.  For me, it is a fail safe.

JPFotoz
Explorer C

@Cattran06wrote:

....I got the same boarding position as when I didn't pay the fee. When I

paid the fee, I was number 49....

@Cattran06 there's absolutely no way you can know what you would have gotten without paying vs paying the fee. Unless you have a time machine and go back and never pay the fee. #SMH

live2dive45
Explorer C

I am new to flying Southwest.  I have purchased a ticket with my partner and we are in the same PNR.  We also purchased Early-bird.  Do we have to check in separately or is it done simultaneously?

tpb11
Explorer C

The cattle call makes the whole experience frustrating, that's why I choose to go with other airlines every chance possible even if it's a little more expensive.  I had a better number than my child and the person at the gate wouldn't let my 9 year old go with me, she said my options were to get on alone and he could wait alone and get on when his number came up or I could stay back and get on with him and the rest of the C's and risk not being able to sit together.  The truth is they don't care if you're frustrated.  

hgmckinney
Explorer A

This is an interesting discussion.  I wonder how many people saw the episode of Mythbusters during one of the final two seasons that tried all the different boarding styles.  They tried several methods with assigned seats (back to front, windows then middles then aisles, free for all).  Each of the traditional carriers uses some form of these in the form of "group 1 board now", etc.  They just have the computer move people to the right group to make it back to front or whichever way they want it.  They also tried the "cattle call" as some have deemed it.  The amazing thing was that the boarding time saved on the method most like the SWA method was actually statistically significant.  That's important because saving 1 minute in a 25 minute process may just be noise in the process, but in this case they showed it was statistically significant.

There is a catch, however.  When interviewing the test subjects after the trials, they found that the "cattle call" was the "least satisfying" method to the passengers.  And this was also by a statistically significant amount.

Bottom line, if you have status on an airline you will get a better seat and usually not have to pay extra for it.  But if you are a recreational traveller, you will have to pay extra to get a better seat (or possibly be a credit card holder, or something else).

Best thing I can say is get out that old yellow legal pad (just like Ted Mosby on HIMYM) and do the pros and cons.  If you like the boarding process put it in the pro side for that airline and if not it goes in the con.  If you like paying for checked luggage, put that in the pro side (lol).   Above all, don't say "I will never fly this airline again because they lost my luggage once in 2003".  You will eventually need one of those airlines again someday.  SWA broke one of my skis (luckily on the way home) one time.  (I liked my skis, they should have broken my putter, that thing never works when I need it, but I digress).  We made an amicable settlement and moved on with our lives.  SWA has the most customer focused people in the airline business that I have come across.  The traditional carriers are just not anywhere near that level.  Alaska tries pretty hard, but still is a step or two behind SWA (several above UA, DAL, AA).

I have done extensive time and high level frequent flier miles on SWA, then Alaska, then Delta, now back to SWA over 15 years of constant travel.  It all depends on where and how you travel.  I LUV SWA, but when I had a job that made me fly to small towns in the middle of nowhere and international (before SWA went INTL) I went with Delta.  Now I am back and just don't see the need to change again.  Give an airline a couple chances before you give up on them.  Learn a little about their system and what makes them tick.  If it doesn't match your style and needs, then it doesn't and we move on down the road (sky).  GM vs Ford, Mercedes vs BMW, UPS vs Fedex, Amazon vs Mall.  

Anyway, now that I have had my say, I am beginning to wonder if that whole putter thing is "operator error"?  No, that can't be it.

LUV -- HGM

irt9206
Explorer C

I have a flight on 6/23 PVD-MCO that I would like to change to a PVD-TAMPA. I purchased early bird for the flight. Just wondering if the early bird would carry over to the new flight or would I lose it if I rebooked. I made the reservation with points. Thanks.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

@irt9206,

As long as you use the change your flight option and don't cancel the flight and rebook, EarlyBird Check-In will stay on the reservation.

--TheMiddleSeat

irt9206
Explorer C

@TheMiddleSeat  Thank you.