Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

NonRev and disability

NonRevMom
Explorer C

If you have mobility issues and "need a little extra time to board", how is this issue handled if you're traveling non rev, since you're going to be issued a C boarding pass as a non rever? What is the proper thing to do? Ask to board with the pre-boarders as this is what you really need? Or keep your mouth shut and manage as best you can?

Input appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: NonRev and disability

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you qualify for preboarding you should use it, regardless of your fare status. I'd bet plenty of companions flying for free use it. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Those needing "a little extra time to board" -- regardless of rev/non-rev status -- are allowed to board before Family Boarding, after the A group and before the B one. (Pre-boarding is reserved for those with disabilities requiring a specific seat or assistance boarding.)

See the gate agent to make the request.

NonRevMom
Explorer C

Thank you everyone. I just don't want to seem as though I'm abusing the great privilege of flying I've been given.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I don't know all of the details as I'm only a consumer of the airline industry and not an insider - but if the pre-boarding rules don't distinguish then I think it would be allowable.

The best person to ask would be your "sponsor" since they would likely be accountable if you did anything incorrectly. (See news story from earlier this year about United which held back some nonrev passengers that didn't meet dress code.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.