Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Online check in rejected by Southwest

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Just a note to clarify that Business Select is a fare type that includes additional perks, and is most likely not what the representative suggested would be reimbursed. Upgraded Boarding is a service where Southwest will sell any open A1-15 boarding positions for $30-$50 when available at the gate. This is what the representative was suggesting would be reimbursed.

I too am surprised that this was offered, for something as minor as checking in one minute later than desired. It's highly unlikely that additional minute had any impact on the positions received. I've seen reps offer Upgraded Boarding reimbursement for those who had purchased EarlyBird Check-In but then not receive it due to a technical glitch, and in that situation it seems fair. But not this one, IMHO.

(Also, to the OP: Please come back after your experience and let us know if they were actually able to reimburse that for you.)

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

There is a lot that we don’t know - was B the next position available? How far off was the check-in clock? Will there be two upgrades available?

However the one thing I can take away is that’s if you can use the check-in link from your confirmation email instead of typing in all of the info you can retry a lot sooner than 40 second later.

Personally I’m expecting +/- 10 seconds on the timing but just keep hammering away during the time I wasn’t A-list or for checking in my wife and daughter.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

There is a lot that we don’t know - was B the next position available? How far off was the check-in clock? Will there be two upgrades available?

We also don't know whose clock was off, or maybe they both were.

StaticLine
Explorer A

We also don't know whose clock was off, or maybe they both were.

Ordinarily I would agree with you. But when my iphone, macbook, TV cable box and Citizen Eco-Drive watch (that synchronizes itself daily with the atomic clock at Ft Collins CO) all simultaneously display the change from 6:59  to 7:00, I'm fairly certain I had the correct time. 😉

StaticLine
Explorer A

Just a note to clarify that Business Select is a fare type that includes additional perks, and is most likely not what the representative suggested would be reimbursed. Upgraded Boarding is a service where Southwest will sell any open A1-15 boarding positions for $30-$50 when available at the gate. This is what the representative was suggesting would be reimbursed.

I did ask him specifically if he was offering Business Select and he confirmed that's the offer, including my wife, since she's on the same confirmation number. You're correct about the additional perks. But if it actually turns out to be upgraded boarding instead, I'm still surprised and pleased. He did give me a SW Reference Number to present to the agent at the airport.

Even if there's no seat available, I'm still content because a Southwest employee listened and made the attempt. That in itself is worth something in an age when one can be ejected from a flight for raising his voice.

Ther are a couple of comments upthread insinuating that I gamed the system. That's not the case at all. I called the Customer Relations Representative to register my displeasure and request they take a closer look at their clocks, because this isn't the first time it occurred to me. I had let the first instance go. I know the reps are sometimes a convenient target for an irate passenger and I was polite as I recounted my frustration. So when he offered the complimentary Business Select or seat upgrade, whichever, assuming there are any vacancies at all on this flight, I'm certainly not going to object. It's the first departure of the day and a nonstop, so it's generally a full flight. He was apparently in a position that gave him the authority to offer it to a long-time customer (but not A List).

I'll be sure to post how it turned out.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@StaticLine wrote:

I know the reps are sometimes a convenient target for an irate passenger and I was polite as I recounted my frustration. So when he offered...

@StaticLine thank you for being polite to the phone rep Smiley Happy

Customer | Home airport DCA

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@StaticLine wrote:

I did ask him specifically if he was offering Business Select and he confirmed that's the offer, including my wife, since she's on the same confirmation number. You're correct about the additional perks. But if it actually turns out to be upgraded boarding instead, I'm still surprised and pleased. He did give me a SW Reference Number to present to the agent at the airport.

So when he offered the complimentary Business Select or seat upgrade, whichever, assuming there are any vacancies at all on this flight, I'm certainly not going to object.

I'm fairly certain that there is zero chance anyone would be offered an upgrade to the full Business Select fare (for 2 passengers) because checking in less than one minute later than desired netted a B boarding position. 😉

Since the rep mentioned availability at the gate, I'm certain they were referring to Upgraded Boarding.

As I mentioned earlier, this accommodation is not uncommon in cases of failed EarlyBird Check-In. To get reimbursed for the price paid at the gate for Upgraded Boarding, you'll need to get a receipt, and then call back after travel is complete to request the refund (mentioning the reference number at that time).

All seats are the same on Southwest. Unlike carriers with multiple classes onboard, there are no "seat upgrades" available.

StaticLine
Explorer A

So, as it happened, we had an unavoidable delay and didn't arrive at the gate until most of the A group had already boarded. We arrived in time to board ourselves solely because we use CLEAR  and we're TSA preapproved, otherwise we would have probably missed the flight altogether. It made no sense to do anything at that point and we barely made to our numbered spots in the B group.  It was a pleasant flight, though, because we headed for one of the empty rows in the back and when the door closed we still had an unoccupied middle seat. There were still about 20 empty seats at gate closure. That's all, folks!

SWDigits
Aviator A

@StaticLine life is crazy, thanks for posting the update and glad you had a good flight.

Customer | Home airport DCA