Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Overhead Baggage

mjzt
Explorer C

I have agripe about how many bags people bring on planes. I travel pretty frequently, and check my suitcase no matter the size. The only item I bring on the plane is a small backpack with a mac book, and other small items. This easily fits under the seat. I never see people questioned about the size oof bag or how much they are carrying onto the plane nor have I ever seen anyone have their bags size checked at the counter. It is a gripe I know, but one advantage would be with people carrying only a purse or a briefcase or nothing be allowed to board first, and give thme opportunity to sit in front of the plane, and have the baggage hauleres wait their turn. Just a thought.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Overhead Baggage

katholenap
Explorer C

The many bags customers bring is ridiculous.  It would be much more comfortable if people checked them.   I have seen people move other's bags to accommodate their own....

Jikker
Explorer B

I always take on the plane with me my travel suitcase and my personal bag that's about the size of a small backpack.  You'd probably categorize me as a "baggage hauler".  I don't check my bag on average for several reasons.

1) I usually am flying to family or friends and for their convenience, I don't make them wait through baggage claim so they can just pick me up curbside from departures.  This is really nice especially at airports where baggage claim can take a while even upwards of an hour (such as my frequent destination, BWI).

2) Having had baggage damaged a lot in the past (sliced open suitcases, wheels no longer able to roll correctly, missing zippers, weird stains, damage to items inside, etc...), I don't want to have to buy new luggage every time I travel only to have it damaged or temporarily lost (I also have had my luggage miss a connection and waited 5 hours in the airport for it to come on the next flight).

3) Some items I use on the plane such as a pillow to alleviate neck pain and my laptop do not fit in my small carry-on bag so I prefer to have my small suitcase with me to carry these items.

My suitcase has also been checked for size before and it fits.  My guess for the reason people aren't required to check the size of their carry-on suitcases is to speed up the process of boarding and the employees have probably seen plenty of suitcases every day to be able to eyeball if it will fit or not.

If it makes you feel any better, I always head straight to the back when I board so I'm not stealing any of those front row seats (I prefer the back anyways).  When I use the overhead bin, I make sure my suitcase takes up the least space possible, and put my bag under the seat in front of me.  To make people with luggage board last would be unfair to those fliers who have earned or paid for an earlier boarding pass while also potentially taking away overhead bin space from them due to the people that stick their small backpacks and jackets in that space.

ThomasF
Explorer C

Thank you for stating the problem so well.  I have suggestions: like children, passengers will use the permissions allowed.  All of us need structure.  Suppose Southwest and other airlines locked the overhead bins after boarding is complete.  Then, upon landing, those with in-hand luggage would be allowed to disembark first, without having to wait for all the people who had stuffed most of their household goods in the overhead.  I also suggest that Southwest experiment with a no-overhead luggage flight; that is, test how long it takes to board and disembark if all luggage has been checked.  Checking baggage is so easy and so trouble free with Southwest that Southwest's tolerance of selfish passengers is unwise.  Note: it angers the disciplined passengers.  I fume, for example, when I have to hold a coat on my lap because the space is needed for someone who needs to travel with a three-month wardrobe.  The disgust with the overhead baggage abuse has been festering.  The other day, on flight 1952 from Seattle to Chicago, I followed a young woman, probably about #B40 for boarding, who had three large bags: a roller with another sizable bag affixed and, in her hand, a bag that was much too large for placing under a seat.  That is, she would take up space overhead for three bags, and on a full flight.  She was not challenged about what she brought aboard.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Yea, good luck with that.  SWA fails to do anything about the fake pre boarders, the seat savers who want to save a couple of bucks for their friends at the ends of the C boarding group, those who put full size luggage in the overhead, etc.......... 

ThomasF
Explorer C

Thanks, Bill.  Southwest is so far ahead in other respects that I don't understand the indifference to the way the present practice makes you and me open to service from other airlines.  We can get unpleasant flight experience, and sometimes more favorable pricing, from many carriers.  If the favored passengers are those violating Southwest's baggage conditions, then why not be open to a pricing advantage or a schedule advantage elsewhere?