Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: PRE BOARD NONSENSE

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Thats very true.    But those gaming the system are far more numerous on SWA because of the lack of assigned seating.  Especially going to LAS or MCO.

sixstringsent
Explorer C

Tell you what, I HOPE that you say something when I request a pre-board. You can be pissy about those who take advantage of the system all you like, but it doesn't change that there are some of us (and most of those who preboard fall into this category) who genuinely need a preboard. That's not a Southwest policy, it's federal law. You sound like a super snotty person, so inconvenienced by preboarders that you have to be a Karen and say something. It's sad, really. You're EXACTLY the type of traveler that most people hate to have to interact with, just walking around like you're owed a red carpet because you spent x number of dollars. So yeah...PLEASE say something to those asking for a preboard, so that you can ruin their day and humiliate them. Sad. 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I've used preboard after I had surgery on a broken wrist and my jaw wired shut.  I didn't ask for it, but the nice lady who I checked my bags in with suggested I present it to the lady at the counter where you board.  I'm still conflicted by the fact I did ask, and received a preboard, but that's now water under the bridge.  But here is the point, maybe some of them are getting preboard by the suggestion of somebody else as I did.  I agree all disabilities are physical, and I've come around to bite my lip and try not to even see who is preboarding.  I'm A-List, I get a seat in the first 10 rows 95% of the time, it's all good.  Honestly, I just think the spike in disgruntled passengers on this forum is due to the pandemic, in terms of just being isolated, cooped up, and loss of the normal everyday things we were used to doing.  As things progress back to normal, less need for, "I want my alcohol, Why aren't people wearing masks, why aren't FA enforcing, as so on.  We can just go back to the petty stuff about how a flight was delayed, a notice of change of flight time, only a few mean FA who got snotty,.......it's coming folks, just be patient. 

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Hi everyone. This thread has gotten heated, and I want to take a moment and encourage everyone to refresh themselves on our Community User Guidelines. We want all Members to feel comfortable sharing thoughts and ideas here, and we ask that you follow the Golden Rule and treat other Community Members the way you would like to be treated. Keep your tone positive and your comments constructive.Thank you.

Nicole
Community Manager

moandyr22
Adventurer C

So when there's 50 line cutters .... Who decides which one of you need it more?  And thats the way its heading . Pre boarders with all the excuses are more common than A listers  or especially business select, at this point.  The sweet old lady that SHOULD be gently taken to her seat now sits in line behind the big  dummies  and their companion. . And more are  crawling out of the wood work to join your team. Eventually you will get pushed back enough that it no longer is pre board.  OR.... Lets call it  "free board". Everyone loves free. Instead of picking fights with people trying to maintain the sanctity of the program, think about those among you getting cheated out of one of the only 6 handicap seats.  . Or keep cheering free boarders on, the  pendulum will swing.  

floridaguy
Aviator C

Pre-boarding has been discussed countless number of times.  Federal law gives people the right to "self identify" with a disability and those individuals are allowed to board the plane early.  With Southwest, it becomes more of a "perfect storm" because there are no assigned seats, thus, people who preboard have the best selection of seats.

I doubt that Southwest will change its policy of open seating.

KT_travels
Explorer C

I am A-list preferred, but due to my travel see no reason to go companion as you have to designate a person and that doesn't work for me.  In addition, also fly 100% business select.  As some were also quite aggressive I also have a son who is permanently disabled, not in ways that you can see however, but he would be a pre-board.

On my last flight a man who pre-boarded had back surgery and needed some extra time, then there are the obvious cases and as I stand in line, do not think anyone has an issue with that.  

On one flight a young man, his dad and brother were in front of me.  I typically am A-1 so was behind them.  When they got to the bottom of the ramp, the boy jumped up and his brother said he wanted to do it on the next flight.  

On another, a young couple took the front row (where I like to sit for leg room and bathroom convenience) and overheard them talking about how they are doing this all the time now since it doesn't matter what boarding group they are in as they get on first.  

I think there are far more abuses than one may realize, but trying to determine who is real and not, unless we can do a lie detector test does present problems.  Especially for those of us paying a lot for our tickets.  

I had one flight attendant tell me that with the low fares, they are seeing more and more folks who might otherwise not fly and would take a bus, do so and with it lack the manners and common sense that once existed on many flights.

When I couple that with the drink coupons that are a waste, the wifi that gets slower and slower, the companion that I could go get, but don't see a reason to do so (in my case at least) it does cause one to pause and consider other options.  

Perhaps a few assigned seats to companion level, business class, A-list and preferred.   Perhaps a tag to allow our luggage to be offloaded first.  Perhaps lifting the companion level and allowing anyone to travel, and for goodness sake, please get the wifi working so it  does not resemble dial up speeds.  A gesture from Southwest would be very much appreciated.  

gsking
Aviator C

You make some interesting points about ways to reward very good customers.   Yeah,  more flexibility in CP would be nice. 

But,  to the rest of your concerns about seating and preboarding... it won't affect that.   It's federally regulated.  I can't think of a way for you to get a better seat than someone disabled (or lying about it) than being disabled (or lying about it).  Assigning seats isn't the SWA way. 

So my only suggestion...preboard if and when you can.... fairly.   The rest of the time,  enjoy your BS benefits of being ahead of the pack and getting good reward points.  Ignore the people ahead of you and be glad you're not them.  Because they're either disabled or dishonest.

And remember that if you're checking a bag,  getting off the plane sooner or later won't make a difference.   Relax and watch the foolish be foolish. 

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Simple solution.  When you get onboard, if you want to sit there... sit there.

If they say the seat is saved.... just sit there.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

How is that going to work? In 3.5 years of flying Southwest (and over 300 flights), I've saved seats once. I was flying with my wife and then 6 year old daughter, and I saved a seat for them.

What would you have done? Tell me that you can seat in any open seat? Sorry, but this seat is taken. Sit down anyway? I'm not getting up to let you in. Push past me? I'm pressing charges for assault. 

It just doesn't work like that.