Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: PRE BOARD NONSENSE

floridaguy
Aviator C

All that is required of the law is that you "self identify" as a person with a disability to be able to preboard.  In fact, you can do back flips and aerobics all the way to the gate and then "self identify".  You can also yuk it up and wear a sign that says "I abused the Pre Board System" and wear a flashing strobe light and the law will protect you.

The issue here, as stated many many times is OPEN SEATING where the preboard passengers get the best choice of seats

Soon the preboards will be assigned boarding positions and the remaining six people can just walk on the plane afterwards.

dwjr
Explorer A

I don't believe that anyone disagrees that open seating is A major reason for the problem.  It's absolutely a core issue. But here is what concerned customers (notice I said "customers" not "passengers") need to ask Southwest lest they lose more A-List Preferred, high revenue customers like me.

Southwest, YOU MUST PICK AT LEAST ONE of the following initiatives moving forward:

• Modify the open seating policy to bring value back to A-List qualifying passengers and those who pay for A1-A15. Do something that ... regardless of the obvious, indisputable pre-board abuse ... makes that status worth a predictive seating outcome that honors those passengers' added expenditures and brand loyalty.

• Lobby for change. Southwest has a Vice-President level position (currently held by Christa Lucas) focused solely on Government Affairs. One of the position's paramount roles is lobbying for beneficial legislative and regulatory outcomes for the company and it's customers.  Southwest CAN LOBBY for better pre-board qualification procedures from the federal government (not unlike those associated with parking in handicap slots).  THEY SIMPLY REFUSE TO.  Like so many companies these days, they are absolutely terrified of incurring the wrath of any of a number of interest groups that will claim association with those who rightfully and wrongfully use pre-boarding privileges. And they continue to refuse to consider the degree to which the current regulations and Southwest's "turn the other cheek" approach continually marginalize those with legitimate disabilities.  

Southwest needs to face the fact that what was once it's primary market distinction -- open seating with a fleet of smaller, compact 737s -- is now a boat anchor given current pre-board regulations and their unwillingness to realize that their value to frequent fliers will continue to diminish given attractive alternatives that don't "live a lie".

floridaguy
Aviator C

As a C-suite executive myself, in another industry, I can tell you that this issue if not top priority.  No one, and I mean NO ONE, is going to take an adversarial position against persons with disabilities.  The primary policy of Southwest is OPEN SEATING which is the source of the entire discussion.  

Remove the OPEN SEATING, and the problem disappears.

Southwest is NOT going to go to assigned seating for A-list passengers and open seating for the remainder.  It is simply NOT going to happen.

You have to decide which is your primary concern - cost of seating position.

DisabledALister
Explorer B

P.S.  feel free to say something to me next flight.  If you do it kindly, I just might explain it to you.  

To be honest, travelling is very difficult for me.  It requires a lot of planning, asking for help which I hate, and Im probably as tired abd cranky as you are.  So....I apologize in advance if I respond in kind and tell you to sick your A List somewhere the sun doesnt shine.

But on behalf of all those with invisible illness, please know that my cranky response is NOT proof that we are cheating the system.  Simply proof that we are also human, we got an unfair lot in life, and sometimes, it's frustrating.  Especially when we have to convince a stranger, again, that just because we look perfectly healthy doesn't mean we are.  Because often, only we know the daily struggle, the months of rehab, the dozens of daily pills, to difficult choices, the tears, required to be functional in that brief moment.  That brief moment you judged us.  Where we look normal, but the struggle to look normal yet be far from it is a difficult one that never ends.  Never.  

floridaguy
Aviator C

I just love the opportunity to preboard.  Thanks Southwest!

kierants
Explorer B

I have sat in the normal line with a WW2 vet. He amazed at the people abusing pre board.

sethisaballer
Explorer C

You legally cannot ask many people their medical reason for needing Pre-Board.  Against HIPPA...so this will always be a tricky one to solve for.  

floridaguy
Aviator C

it isn't "HIPPA", its "HIPAA".  And, its not against the law to ask on the basis of HIPAA since Southwest is not a covered entity and does not have "protected health information" or "PHI".

Please refrain from making comments on items that are not known to you.

kierants
Explorer B

Ha ha ha!

signed,

ignorant people

Candisehb
Explorer C

Have you ever stopped to think, that one knows they can pre board, so they don't bother checking in on time.  I know I get pre-board for my diagnosis so I don't bother checking in and stressing out about checking in on time. So maybe don't judge the pre-boarders that have b or c group....but you can judge their families and technically you cant save seats so just sit where you want in the front. Its open seating, any open seat can be yours.