Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: PRE BOARD NONSENSE

ACESNEIGHTS
Explorer B

The solution is for everyone with a disability to just get a wheelchair. If you have a wheelchair, you don't get idiots complaining about your invisible disability.

My wife had a stroke and could walk slowly with a cane. At LAX we tried coming up the disabled elevator and going to the front of the line. We were lucky we weren't lynched by an angry mob waiting for hours.

My wife just fell to the floor crying uncontrollably. The checkpoint agents brought her a wheelchair and that was the last time we tried we tried for minimal assistance. 

You either get no help at all or you get a wheelchair.

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

If the ever growing line of pre-borders and seat savers bothers you that much, fly an airline that lets you reserve your seat when you buy your ticket.  

For me, I don’t like SWAs free for all seating policy. I look at all other options before booking SWA. But SWA is usually the most convenient and lowest costs choice. 

I try to ignore the fiasco as far as I can and remind myself that, as the FAs sometimes announce, all seats arrive at the same time. 

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

And the pre boards there are not quite a numerous as the ones on SWA, but they are there too.

WBruceW
Explorer C

Ya, all seats arrive at the same time, getting off the plane in hurry when necessary isn’t going to happen.  I actually don’t have a problem with disabled folks pre-boarding. I do have a problem with the cost of Business Select being advertised as some grand benefit—its not…

sixstringsent
Explorer C

Here's the dilemma with what you're proposing - to have to have a wheelchair in order to preboard.

I have PTSD from my time in the military spent in Iraq. I have requested preboard for a few years now because it eases my triggers and anxiety to be able to get in my seat and not to be surrounded by people. I do this at the recommendation of my doctor, and have never had a problem except maybe a few a-holes who stare. Not bothered by it.

The problem with your suggestion is that all injuries aren't physical, nor do they necessitate the need for a wheelchair. I hate that your wife went through that, but it's all the more reason to not paint with a broad brush.

moandyr22
Adventurer C

I respect/ thank you for your service however if you claim your PTSD should allow you to pre-board because "anxiety being around a lot of people" perhaps then you have no business being on a full plane. There will still be the same amount of people around you.  Does that mean when they deplane you are a danger to yourself or others? I'm still not seeing  how avoiding the inevitable will make a difference. Once b and c  groups start coming on they pile in  the isles as if it will move faster if you are chest to back. And yes even those comfortably sitting are suddenly crowded,  So if you choose to fly you will be in crowds, unless YOU book first class on planes that separate the two. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

First, thank you for your service.  We wouldn't enjoy the benefits of living in the USA without your service.

Second, some need to mind their own business around here.  Frankly, if you buy Business Select only to get on board first, you are wasting your money.  However, do as you see best.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

And all those that need a wheelchair on boarding magically no longer need them on arrival thanks to jetway Jesus.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Occasionally, I roll my eyes at what I call the healing effects of a SW flight, magically those with special needs to be pre boarded can sprint off the plane from the front of the plane upon arrival, like Lazarus rising from the dead, Hallelujah!

But then I take deep breath and move on, since Generally, I check bags anyway due the nature of my work 

sixstringsent
Explorer C

Ever consider that there are disabilities that aren't physical in nature? Hmm. Arrogant, much?