Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Perhaps an odd situation, can you get a permanent pre boarding for a psssenger?

Yzguy
Explorer A

Hello,

My husband, who is disabled, does best when he goes down the aisle and it’s empty.  He has bad balance issues and has poor feeling in his legs from knees down.  He uses a cane but does fall easily (due to balance).  I have to ask each time for a pre boarding pass.  We are NOT looking to sit in first row (and we do not) and we are NOT saving seats for any one.  There are only 2 of us and a fall would be detrimental.  We always feel like we are being judged when we ask to preboard.  My husband is disabled due to his time in he Marine Corp.  I know it’s just a matter of time that he will be in a wheelchair.  Being the tough Marine he is, he gets by with a cane for now,  The only option for assistance when I book our flights is if you need a wheelchair.  I just wish there was a different option but there is not.  I appreciate any suggestions.  Thank you. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Perhaps an odd situation, can you get a permanent pre boarding for a psssenger?

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Unfortunately there is no automatic request pre board feature and you would need to speak to an agent at the ticket counter or gate agent to get pre boarded added each time 

the reason this probably doesn’t exist are the people who would say I always need to preboard when they really don’t need to 

Re: Perhaps an odd situation, can you get a permanent pre boarding for a psssenger?

Yzguy
Explorer A

Thank you Bec102896.  I appreciate your response. 

After a very negative reaction from a gate agent at BWI, I really don’t know if we will fly SW again. This girl actually rolled her eyes at me when I asked about preboarding my husband (and yes I explained his issues).  She had to be the rudest gate agent I think I’ve ever encountered with SW.  She came across as I was bothering her and why would I need to do that. 😳  It was beyond bizarre. I will be looking for another airline due to hubby’s medical issues.  

Thank you again for your response. 

Yzguy

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Sorry about your experience. But I think that's an anomaly. And it seems reactionary to take your business elsewhere after a single incident. Keep in mind that you could experience a rude gate agent with any carrier.