Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pointers on how to obtain luggage from BWI

ashcroftgm
Explorer C

Just wanted to pass along some intel for anyone trying to retrieve their bags from BWI. The people at the baggage office told us that, if your bags were checked prior to 12/28/2022, they're more likely than not being stored at SW's cargo warehouse at 10 Air Cargo Drive, Warehouse 1005, Door 11 (not at the baggage office in the terminal). You'll see a big sign for Southwest and something like "luggage office" when you get there. You'll go to the warehouse, be asked to provide claim numbers or to describe your luggage, and then they'll retrieve it for you and should offer you a voucher - it seems like they're offering a $100 voucher for each piece of checked luggage that was delayed. The employees at the warehouse were super helpful and accommodating - please be nice to them when you get there - it's not their fault Southwest has chosen to forego IT upgrades that should have been implemented long ago. Hope this helps someone who is trying to navigate the baggage claim labyrinth!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Pointers on how to obtain luggage from BWI

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Thanks for sharing the info!

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

Thank you for sharing.  

It is beyond sad that no one from Southwest has bothered to make an announcement on the web page or to customers who were adversely impacted by the recent mess.

Having to stumble across this information on the blog reflects poorly on Southwest.  

SWAnotherWokeCo
Adventurer C

Yes, it does. Totally ridiculous for SW not to get that important information out to the people that need it.

SWAnotherWokeCo
Adventurer C

SW BWI never mentioned to us that we could pick up our luggage at the Cargo building. That would have been nice to know. We are still waiting for the luggage to be FEDEX’ed to our home. 

SWAnotherWokeCo
Adventurer C

Nine days later we are reunited with our luggage. We drove to 1005 Air Cargo Dr., Bldg. C, Door 11 and waited in a short line. No reason provided why we weren't told to go there originally or why our bags were not sent FEDEX like SW promised to. The attendant just muttered “Corporate” when we asked. Must have been a party going on because personnel were walking around with food trays.

Re: Pointers on how to obtain luggage from BWI (Compensation for Purchases)

AJMaryland
Explorer C

Very glad you received your bags but we have tried and were told they cannot pull them.  They are still "sorting."  Where is Southwest for the passengers?  I have two bags in BWI and two stranded in SJU and we planned a "redo" but have none of our summer gear.  Are you suggesting $100 per bag is ample for having to order bathing suits, shorts and other misplaced items?  

Here is what Southwest representatives said and what is written in the online missing bag report:

- Someone will call you when your bags have been located.  (If two of my bags are in the terminal/baggage cargo) why isn't someone calling us?

- Customer service reps have no information.  Everything is being driven from the HUB airports.   So lines are open to call but there is no information to share.

Yes I want my belongings but 9 days later, I cannot presume Southwest will get us our things so we need to replace most items.   

I feel like Southwest is telling us "be patient" and "wait a little while longer" but we have lives to lead and entrusted our belongings with this airline.  You can't have it both ways.  Compensate now and if bags are retrieved it will be a pleasant surprise.

Re: Pointers on how to obtain luggage from BWI (Compensation for Purchases)

SWAnotherWokeCo
Adventurer C

Have you gone to the BWI SW Cargo Bldg. for the bags? The SW attendants were having a party yesterday but, they did manage to pull our bags. Maybe they are back to business today. I would not rely on SW to call you. We never received a call. This should be a good # for SW BWI cargo:  410 981-1410.