Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Power wheelchair lithium ion battery 270 watts

Gatorjohn127
Explorer C

I intend to bring my electric power wheelchair to the cabin on an upcoming flight. It has one lithium ion 270 watt battery. I understand that the battery must be removed from the wheelchair and brought with me as carry on baggage. My question is can I just put the battery in my backpack or do I need special packaging for the battery before placing in my backpack. Also since I am disabled and cannot bend with the southwest people remove the battery from my wheelchair for me.  Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Power wheelchair lithium ion battery 270 watts

floridaguy
Aviator C

I would recommend calling Southwest directly and ask the question.  

Re: Power wheelchair lithium ion battery 270 watts

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Gatorjohn127 wrote:

I intend to bring my electric power wheelchair to the cabin on an upcoming flight. It has one lithium ion 270 watt battery. I understand that the battery must be removed from the wheelchair and brought with me as carry on baggage. My question is can I just put the battery in my backpack or do I need special packaging for the battery before placing in my backpack. Also since I am disabled and cannot bend with the southwest people remove the battery from my wheelchair for me.  Thanks

Hello- 

Here is the text from TSA's website which indicates that the battery will need to be removed and placed in a protective pouch. The airline should be alerted so advanced-arrangements can be made for transport of the lithium battery. I would initiate a call with a SW CSA as early as possible to ensure this given your circumstances regarding who is to remove it. They should also be able to assist you on what protective gear you'll need to bring. TSA text as follows:

Battery powered wheel chairs and mobility devices

[omitted spillable battery directives as they are non applicable]

Lithium metal (non-rechargeable lithium) batteries are forbidden with these devices.

Lithium ion batteries must be removed from this type of mobility device and battery terminals protected from short circuit. The battery must be protected from damage (e.g. by placing each battery in a protective pouch). The lithium ion batteries must be carried in carry-on baggage only. The passenger must advise the airline of the battery location. The airline must notify the Pilot-in-command of the battery location in the cabin.

For complete passenger instructions contact your airline. Advance arrangements and extra check-in time may be necessary. The airline may need to remove the battery and package it separately if the wheelchair cannot be stowed upright in the cargo compartment.

Wheelchairs and other mobility devices are permitted through the checkpoint but not permitted into the cabin of the aircraft.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/battery-powered-wheel-chairs-and-m...