Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pre-Boarding Abuse bad for All

Bond007
Adventurer C

I fly a lot. I earn mikes and that makes me move up in the numbering system that is so important to boarding and getting a seat . Only now it isn’t. I just got on yet another flight from LV- Chicago with abusive pre boarders. There were 6 people with wheelchairs . There were 12 others that were  younger than me and totally mobile .  They were all traveling together . They are not disabled in any way that disrupts their ability to board . All the A1-30 people watch this - your frequent travelers that should have priority based on your own system. They all comment on it and end up angry.  You are creating enormous bad will with your base, abusing your own seating rules, and disrespecting those that really do need help with boarding .  You really should have preboarders board at the back of the plane . It would end abuse immediately . SW just continues this ridiculous policy endlessly and. It is now a huge abuse and has created regular frustration for the rest of us - particularly the frequent traveler who sees the growing abuse and has no way to sit up front ever anymore even with a high A boarding number . It’s just completely unfair . 

36 REPLIES 36

Re: Pre-Boarding Abuse bad for All

Bond007
Adventurer C

It Is also hard on your staff who then deal with irritated frequent flyers and all they can say is ‘talk to the company’ every flight . 

janadu
Explorer C

Glad to see this discussion comment.  I flew for the first time on SW with my husband.  Had no idea how this 'no pre-assigned seats' policy was going to work.  I hate it.  For the first time ever, I wasn't able to get in front of the wings, even with having an "A" number on return trip home.  Aisle after aisle, where 2 seats were available, a person would say they were saved.  i argued with one woman and said 'well, are they on board'?  She said "not yet".  I said 'well, they obviously have a higher number than me."  I was about to shove my way in to those 2 seats when my husband told me to move along.  I asked the flight attendant about this (my being new) and she said the airlines is not For or Against saving seats.

I wonder what would happen if I had bullied my way into those 2 empty seats.

Then the wheelchair group, who goes off first.  We had seen this older couple walking throughout the airport before going to the SW gate. (I had noticed them because the wife had on a stunning outfit.) Then all of a sudden, the man is in an airport wheelchair!  Again, cheating.

We will not ever fly SW again.  I only booked this one because it was $20/person cheaper.  The stress of cheats is not worth it.  The inability to be in front of the wing was stressful for me too because I'm a very nervous traveller.

JWfrank
Explorer C

Totally agree.  I had the very same thing happen with me on the last 2 flights with SW.  I have one more flight with them and that's it....Im done.

Their early check in is really a joke.

Flyingforfun
Explorer A

Southwest does not permit the saving of seats for persons in boarding classes lower than the one of the person already seated. Disabled preboards are allowed to have one traveling companion with them, but not an entourage.  If someone tells you a seat is being saved for someone not already onboard,  then tell them Southwest does not permit the saving of seats. If they want to cause a row, then the flight crew can take them off the flight for belligerence. Your husband should be aware that by moving along and conceding, he was only contributing to the problem.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Flyingforfun wrote:

Southwest does not permit the saving of seats for persons in boarding classes lower than the one of the person already seated. Disabled preboards are allowed to have one traveling companion with them, but not an entourage.  If someone tells you a seat is being saved for someone not already onboard,  then tell them Southwest does not permit the saving of seats. If they want to cause a row, then the flight crew can take them off the flight for belligerence. Your husband should be aware that by moving along and conceding, he was only contributing to the problem.

Actually, no. Southwest allows seat saving. The official statement is that they "do not have a policy for or against it," and FAs are instructed to not get involved.

Flyingforfun
Explorer A

@chgoflyer wrote:

@Flyingforfun wrote:

Actually, no. Southwest allows seat saving. The official statement is that they "do not have a policy for or against it," and FAs are instructed to not get involved.

Where can I find the official statement? Everywhere I look at the SW site it states open seating means any available seat or it says unoccupied seat.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

There is no statement on the website, because they have no official policy. This allows Southwest to avoid having any responsibility for issues arising from their boarding system.

For reference:

southwest seat saving.pngsouthwest ebci seat saving.png1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.pngreply.png

If you'd like additional proof, please contact Southwest directly and ask them. 😉

hayesmary
Explorer C

I am totally sharing this pre-board frustration. Now that the earlybird price has increased I am more upset with those passengers that "save seats" for their friends that have not bought early bird. My number is lower and I have to keep moving to find a seat. If the policy is open seating then that should be enforced and all passengers should be reminded before boarding. I have had times when the flight attendent just looks on while someone saves 2 seats and says nothing.  Please don't just collect mly earlybird money but make earlybird work for those who pay.

STL243
Explorer C

They need to just assign seats and end the circus!