Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pre—Boarding Garbage

brettp1984
Explorer C

LAX to DALA flight today, gate staff has no clue about boarding. A gate attendent runs up late and turns and simply states, “Anybody who can walk”. Literally, and I counted, eighteen people get in a line to board, most showing absolutely no impairment, and get to board before any ‘A’s.

Not your policy, but appatently your practice. Ridiculous.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Pre—Boarding Garbage

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You're welcome to send your comments directly to Southwest.  Use the contact us link at the bottom of the page and send a message.

--TheMiddleSeat

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

As much As I would like to agree with you wholeheartedly, I can't because we as observers cannot know the particular needs of any pre-boarder.

"The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) pre-boarding rule, which is found under 14 CFR 382.93. It instructs airlines: “As a carrier, you must offer preboarding to passengers with a disability who self-identify at the gate as needing time or assistance to board, stow accessibility equip or be seated.”

The US DOT also goes on to state in an additional guidance memo dated May 29, 2013 & isued June 29 2013,

"For a passenger to be entitled to preboarding, that passenger must self-identify at the gate as being a person with a disability that needs to preboard for one of the above-listed reasons,”

Based on the DOT rule and issued guidance, pre boarders should be stating, 1.) they need/want to pre board and 2.) providing one of the above listed reasons they need to pre board.

That being said I do strongly believe that Southwest's existing boarding policies can comply with regulations and work much better if they would simply follow them.

Safe Travels 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@brettp1984   I'm trying to read this to understand,  Did the G.A. say, "Anybody that can walk," or is this suppose to be, "Anybody that CAN'T walk."  Because if it's anybody that can walk, you should have got in line yourself.  

brettp1984
Explorer C

I actually was about to. I used to live in South Florida and you would eight or so wheel chaired flyers board and literally all would walk off when we landed. In Florida it was so common people would call them, Miracle Flights, lol.

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

boarding would be so fast if early passenger seat in

last row and so on. could do in 10 minutes.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@CupCrusher40 wrote:

boarding would be so fast if early passenger seat in

last row and so on. could do in 10 minutes.

You first on your next flight. You don' have to go all the way back. Row 20  or higher should be good enough.