Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pre-Boarding for Hidden Disabilities

PotsieLean
Explorer C

I find it absolutely disgusting that I've heard so many horror stories about people who have disabilities that can't be spotted by just looking at them and are treated like they've "cheated the system" because they need to pre-board when traveling.

I've had Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome for over 4 years and you absolutely can't see that anything is completely wrong with me but just going from sitting to standing or vice versa can send my heart rate soaring and I can pass out without much warning.

Doesn't make me less qualified to travel much less need a little extra time getting down the ramp so I can be in the seated position for as long as possible. I thought Southwest was a little bit better at handling things of this nature especially knowing that I don't owe anyone an explanation as to why pre-boarding would be beneficial. I don't know who's more ridiculous. Gate agents or entitled passengers who feel like if they can't see the disability it truly doesn't exist. "You guys are taking advantage of pre-boarding"  "They don't have a cane, they're not disabled!" "They walked up here just fine, look at them, they don't need to pre-board" I hope the audacity is getting you guys a paycheck because it's plentiful these days. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Pre-Boarding for Hidden Disabilities

floridaguy
Aviator C

I preboard regularly.  I know the Air Carrier Access Act inside and out.  I have also been asked excessive questions before and that violates not only my privacy rights, but the law itself.  

My suggestion is to do what the law says.  Present yourself and "self-identify" as someone as a disability and go ahead and ask to preboard in accordance with your rights under the Air Carrier Access Act.  

If other passengers question you, tell them to leave you alone.  If they won't contact airport security and be done with it.

This all comes together as a perfect storm on Southwest since they don't have assigned seats and, yes, the preboard people do get first choice of seats.  That's the law.

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Gate agents are usually (99%) friendly, and understanding. If you present an issue, they'll usually help ya out! You might sometimes be asked for a doctor's note or proof; not because you're not trusted but because certain people can attempt to gain the system. Safe travels!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

floridaguy
Aviator C

Asking for a doctor's note is a violation of the law.  That also leaves Southwest wide open for legal issues since the law requires that the individual "self declare".  

Like I have said before, a person can do back-flips and acrobatics all the way to the gate, then "self declare" with a disability, then preboard.  That's the law.

No one should ever challenge you and if they do, take action.  You have rights under Federal law.

BNAteacher
Explorer C

Question (and I ask this as someone with zero skin in the game and zero expertise): Southwest's official policy is that preboarding is for people who need assistance while boarding or people who need a specific seat, and that people who need extra time board between A&B. According to the OP's description, their condition requires extra time in boarding but not the two requirements of preboarding (to the best of my reading of their post). Under federal law, can WN ask the OP "does your medical condition require assistance? does it require a specific seat?" and if they answer no, refuse preboarding?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@BNAteacher wrote:

Under federal law, can WN ask the OP "does your medical condition require assistance? does it require a specific seat?" and if they answer no, refuse preboarding?

Yes, although this seems rare, it’s the easiest path to just do preboarding, I rarely see “extra time” boarders. Although I’m also usually A16-A-20 so I’m not hanging out for it except when traveling with the family and we use family boarding. 

The agents seem to have a default of preboard and not getting into the specific questions about the needed accommodation and whether an extra-time slot is sufficient.

Which I’m fine with personally. I’m sure some abuse of the system occurs but overall I can see it being the easiest path for everyone. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@BNAteacher wrote:

Question (and I ask this as someone with zero skin in the game and zero expertise): Southwest's official policy is that preboarding is for people who need assistance while boarding or people who need a specific seat, and that people who need extra time board between A&B. According to the OP's description, their condition requires extra time in boarding but not the two requirements of preboarding (to the best of my reading of their post). Under federal law, can WN ask the OP "does your medical condition requirBy federl lawe assistance? does it require a specific seat?" and if they answer no, refuse preboarding?

By federal law, anyone who claims a need to pre board must be allowed to pre board. That's it.

psollwas
Explorer B

Invisible disabilities can be just as debilitating and challenging as visible ones, and individuals who have them deserve the same respect, understanding, and access to accommodations as anyone else. Disabilities come in various forms, and it is essential for society to recognize and accommodate these differences without judgment or skepticism.

As you mentioned, conditions like Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) can significantly impact a person's ability to travel comfortably and safely, even if they appear fine on the surface. The need for pre-boarding or other accommodations is not a matter of "cheating the system" but rather ensuring equal access and reasonable adjustments to make travel possible for everyone, regardless of their disability type.