Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pre-Boarding

Disgusted56
Explorer C

After reading and experiencing first hand, I fully agree with and request Southwest correct this problem. My recent trip there wer 10 wheelchairs that required preboarding and 6 of the 10 were couples. Could that be a coincidence or just abuse to get a good seat. These very same people walked to the gate sat in a chair to board and when asked if they could walk into the plane 6 of the 10 (the couples) left their chair and walked down the ramp into the plane. in additon some of the people had their families who also accompanied them into the plane. "How many people does it take to assist a disaple person" Answer:6 Southwest wake-up, revisit the policy and force the correct use of people with disabilities, it gives them a bad name. And please change the overhead luggage policy. Suitcases larger than your dimensions and entering the plane and being stored overhead. I hate to think if one of those hard suitcases come free and lands on a passenger they'll have some serious injuries. Come-on Southwest, be a leader in doing the right thing for all concerned.

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Pre-Boarding

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

Disgusted56 said:

"My recent trip there wer (sic) 10 wheelchairs that required preboarding and 6 of the 10 were couples."

Shout out to my mom and dad who still manage to travel and see the world...in their wheelchairs!

gsking
Aviator C

I almost couldn't care less about preboarding, since I'd rather sit in the back than wallow in all the mayhem at the front of the plane. 

But yeah,  most of that mayhem is idiots who put too big a suitcase in the overhead... and then throw their personal item in there, too.  Ignoring the rules and the free checked bags, hogging up all the space,  and clogging up the aisle boarding and deboarding while they fuss with all their gear. 

I would LUV to see gate agents or FAs enforce those rules.  No HIPPA protections for selfish morons. 

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

My husband pre-boards (he has Cerebral Palsy).  He can walk, very slowly, but can walk.  Through airports we use wheelchairs because too many people don't pay attention to where they are walking and if my husband has to move quickly to avoid a collision, he will fall.  And, if that same person doesn't see my husband and runs into him, he will fall.  It's a no win situation, thus the wheelchair.  Once they call for pre-boarding, he does get out of the chair and walks up to the line and onto the plane.

When our kids were small, they allowed us all to pre-board with him (I as his "attendant" and our 2 girls).  However, on multiple occasions, once the girls got old enough to stand in line by themselves, they stopped allowing that.  We were perfectly fine with that.  Now, one of us boards with him while the other 2 stand in line.  We have been told and heard the Gate Agents tell "groups" that are wanting to pre-board that only 1 person can go with the disabled person.  I'm sure there are a few GA who don't help with this, but rest assured a lot of them do!

When I fly by myself, I have never once thought about the pre-boarders gaining some advantage over me by getting on the plane first.  If I have a seat on the plane, we are all getting there at the same time.  Really wish people would get over the rants about it.  We all have bigger things to deal with than someone boarding before you.  

And to those that think pre-boarders need to leave the plane last.  Hogwash!  Do you think these people don't have connecting flights that they need to get to also?  Remember, my husband moves very slowly and you want us to be last off the plane so we have to attempt to run even faster to the connection?   Everyone really needs to stop thinking of only themselves.  

if you don't like it, stop flying and drive to your destination.  Oh wait, you might have to wait in a line to get gas and that would upset you also because someone got there before you.  

Disgusted56
Explorer C

Thank you for responding. FYI, it's not the waiting, you and I'm sure others do require this service and rightly so. But when people walk through the terminal and find a chair and wheel to the gate to be assisted it's a scam. you need to wake-up the world is not a caring atmosphere,  there are those who take advantage at every turn when possible. And if your family accompanied you to board the plane it's certainly the correct thiing to do. In this particular instance, not only the person who assisted the chair bound individual but his "group" included another complete family to the total of 7 people when they could have easily boarded normally while the care giver assisted the person entering the plane. And, it's not a matter of getting there first, it's a matter of doing the correct and honest thing. To me last, first ,we all arrive at the same time. No-one is thinging of themselves though they might, its all about doing what's right. Sorry, I have an electric car, no gas needed.

Disgusted56
Explorer C

Thank you for responding. FYI, it's not the waiting, you and I'm sure others do require this service and rightly so. But when people walk through the terminal and find a chair and wheel to the gate to be assisted it's a scam. you need to wake-up the world is not a caring atmosphere,  there are those who take advantage at every turn when possible. And if your family accompanied you to board the plane it's certainly the correct thiing to do. In this particular instance, not only the person who assisted the chair bound individual but his "group" included another complete family to the total of 7 people when they could have easily boarded normally while the care giver assisted the person entering the plane. And, it's not a matter of getting there first, it's a matter of doing the correct and honest thing. To me last, first ,we all arrive at the same time. No-one is thinging of themselves though they might, its all about doing what's right. Sorry, I have an electric car, no gas needed.

brenda9122
Explorer C

I am heart sick at some of the horrible accusations in this discussion. 

I am 62 years old. I have fibromyalgia that has progressed to the "severe stage"  I have a degenerative joint disease and have had 4 knee surgeries on one knee and the other one will remain bone on bone and has been for the last 6 years.  Both of my feet are bone on bone as well. I am traveling with a Lumbar Cushion and neck pillow.  I am traveling soon to see my young son in NYC because I am not sure what the future will hold with my health. The whole trip is a stretch for me as I am doing it alone.

I will arrive at gates being pushed in a wheelchair. My hair will be done and I will have on some makeup. When I am dressed NONE of the widespread pain I feel is visible.

It's hard to be singled out a disabled. It's hard to submit to a wheelchair. So believe me when I say there are many people who are in pain that you can't see from the outside.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@brenda9122 

Very well said.

I can only hope that a few of the unintelligent haters read your post.

DisabledALister
Explorer B

Much love, Brenda.  I hope you have smooth travels and a great trip.  Try not to overdo it!  And I will cross my fingers that you remain at least mostly free of the glares of those who dont understand the painful (in all ways) existence of living and fighting a chronic, invisible to all others, illness.  I know that you truly need the accomodations you begrudgingly ask for.  I encourage you to NOT be discouraged from using them to accommodate other's sensitivities.  Your health and wellbeing is important too, please dont put it at risk for fear of being judged as the one thing we desperately want back - able bodied.  

floridaguy
Aviator C

I hate to be the one to tell you, but you are showing your lack of information quite boldly.

First, it is not "HIPPA", it is "HIPAA".  And, Southwest is not a healthcare provider so they have no "protected health information" or PHI in their records.

So, my advice is to read a few articles and brush up on what you are talking about.

For myself, I enjoy the preboarding.  It is a nice policy.