Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pre board disability

Borgelt1
Explorer C

Is being tall a disability which allows for pre board status? 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Pre board disability

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

I would say no, unless you have actual chronic disabilities, but that's just my opinion. I would recommend you purchase a business select ticket so you can board from the 1st 15 positions.  

Garzajorge
Explorer C

I was on a SWA flight a day before Thanksgiving. It was Miracle flight! I am a hard earned A lister. Half the plane literally pre-boarded with entire huge families in wheel chairs. Once we landed the flight attendant asked if anyone needed a wheel chair. No one needed one once when we landed. A Miracle

Dierberg01
Explorer C

Same experience. Traveling back from seeing my son in the military and paid to fly business select. Six wheelchairs get on the plane and they all walk off and down the terminal after the fight was over. There is a forum somewhere on how to scam Southwest Airlines. I hate it that I pay extra and still have to put up with this! I understand some are completely valid, but they should either board last or sit in the back of the plane. Ridiculous!

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry, but you are running into a federal law that basically dictates how Southwest must handle those that request a pre-board.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

From southwest.com:

"Preboarding is available for Customers who have a specific seating need to accommodate their disability and/or need assistance in boarding the aircraft or stowing an assistive device."

I will assume that you would be attempting to get a specific seating option due to your height so appears it would qualify for preboarding, although one could probably argue that the seating need is not to accommodate a disability.  No one is legally allowed to question your disability.

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

Per Southwest:

Preboarding is available for Customers who have a specific seating need to accommodate their disability and/or need assistance in boarding the aircraft or stowing an assistive device. If a Customer with a disability simply needs a little extra time to board, we will permit the Customer to board before Family Boarding, between the “A” and “B” groups.

Those Customers who need extra time to board will receive a new boarding pass with an extra time designation. The designation serves as notification to our Operations (boarding) Agent that the Customer should be permitted to board before Family Boarding.

We will allow one travel companion to act as an “attendant” and preboard with a Customer with a disability. In most cases, the Customer requires assistance from only one other person, and any additional family members or friends are asked to board with their assigned group.

Customers should request preboarding from our Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter or departure gate. Our Agents are trained to ask fact-finding questions to determine if the Customer meets the qualifications described above. Those Customers who qualify for preboarding will receive a new boarding pass with a preboarding designation. The designation serves as notification to our Operations (Boarding) Agent that the Customer should be permitted to preboard.

It's important to keep in mind that Customers who preboard may not occupy an exit seat.

Note: Customers who are preboarding because of a need for a specific seat onboard the aircraft should speak with the Operations (Boarding) Agent prior to the start of preboarding to alert the Agent to the seating need.

Link: https://www.southwest.com/faq/boarding-the-plane

TL;DR - ask the Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter. 

--Jessica

floridaguy
Aviator C

I always preboard.  That's so nice the way Southwest does it.