Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Pre-boarding is getting out of control

buzzchris
Adventurer B

I did write a letter to the CEO and received a very nice, professional response back by a staff member. Yes, FAs are to ascertain whether or not a passenger is capable of opening an emerg door. As the response I received, the FAs do just that and will require a passenger to move if necessary.   But, look at my message dated 09/03/19. The elderly woman issue was recorded and posted on Facebook and suposedly it was posted on You Tube.  She could barely move. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Well, I found nothing on you tube.

As far as the woman goes, I suspect one of two things happened

1) The FA's did not recognize her physical condition .or.

2) The FA's evaluaed the passengers condition and found her fit to sit in the exit row.

JLBKC72
Explorer C

I travel at least 2 times a week and it is out of control. If they need assistance getting on the plane they should not be allowed to save seats and if they are not in a wheelchair Southwest should reserve seats for the pre-board passengers at the back of the plane. This would speed up the boarding process and prevent people who abuse the policy from grabbing all the seats at the front of the plane. They should be required to provide documentation that they need assistance no different than parking in a handicap spot without proper tags. Another great option is let them board after the A group. It is being abused and your loyal customers are getting sick of it. 

bozacksmith
Explorer B

I can ntell ya from at least my experience (I fly to earn companion pass every year).

It has gotten out of control but the FAs have always made sure they have to remain in the first rows and that is it.

I don't ever sit in the front as I am usually A1, 2 or A16 and grab an exit anyways. Have also never seen the seat saving for preboards as a big deal.

Of course flights to Florida are always worse, one flight to Ft Lauderdale we had close to 60 preboards.

Ruspin
Explorer C

I, too, have seen an increased amount of pre-board abusers. I understand SW hands are tied to Federal Regulations, but I would think a simple solution would be that those who pre board should have to wait to deplane. Thoughts?

PetJ
Explorer C

I completely agree pre boarding is out of control. I fly 4 or 5 times a week and have seen a  dozen people board with one person on a walker, groups of 6-8 and today four losers in their mid 30s who preboarded with zero disability. They then joked around about how long it took them to get their oversized luggage in the bin while everyone waited. SW has this problem far in excess of any other airline. A couple of things have occurred to me. One, limit the number of people who can board with a preboarder to two as is now done with families with small children. Second, let business select at least board first. The situation is annoying enough I now fly other airlines for business whenever possible. Given that this problem is uniquely Southwest’s in its magnitude I expect they have more discretion than they are exercising. 

Xwww
Explorer C

Iam a preboarder! Have been for the last 7 years! My daughter is Autistic and also is a pre boarder! So when we fly we have 1 other person with us that gets on to help me and also her! Most of the time you are only allowed 1 person per pre boarder but i have seen many more some taking the whole family! You can not look at me or my daughter and know of our disability, even tho we have received many coments and nasty looks! Iam able to walk short distances and depending on what kind of day Im having maybe walk a little further! Her on the other hand is physically able but as far as standing in lines waiting she could easily freak out! If they want proof of our disability we can easily show as I have all documents for us both and a handicap card for parking! People should not judge by looking, but I do agree it should be harder to pre board then it is!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Xwww wrote:

Iam a preboarder! Have been for the last 7 years! My daughter is Autistic and also is a pre boarder! So when we fly we have 1 other person with us that gets on to help me and also her! Most of the time you are only allowed 1 person per pre boarder but i have seen many more some taking the whole family! You can not look at me or my daughter and know of our disability, even tho we have received many coments and nasty looks! Iam able to walk short distances and depending on what kind of day Im having maybe walk a little further! Her on the other hand is physically able but as far as standing in lines waiting she could easily freak out! If they want proof of our disability we can easily show as I have all documents for us both and a handicap card for parking! People should not judge by looking, but I do agree it should be harder to pre board then it is!

Well said, and I'm glad that being able to preboard helps you out.

ckemph
Explorer C

I was on recent Florida flight and we had 71 preboards. I watched two people I know, who have no issues whatsoever, preboard. I understand that airlines can't violate HIPPA rules and ask what condition someone has, but they can legally require a health care professional's note stating that the person has a condition which requires preboarding. I am A-list preferred, and frequently fly business select, and the anger that's mounting in some of Southwest's best customers is remarkable. I have options, and so do most of Southwest's best customers.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

As has been stated here a million times now, no -- they cannot legally require a note. If they could, they would. Address your concerns regarding this to your lawmakers. And choose a carrier who offers assigned boarding if this really bothers you.

Personally, I'm amazed at the number of new members here who are always A-List Preferred, flying on Business Select tickets, whose first post is about "out of control" preboarding, and who report seeing unbelievable numbers of preboards, all while having the medical knowledge necessary to diagnose others by just looking at them.

These repetitive posts are so similar, even containing some of the same misspellings and grammar mistakes, that it's a remarkable coincidence.