Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Pre-boarding remains out of control

kierants
Explorer B

The number has greatly increased and will continue just as emotional support pets did.

route66lil
Explorer C

I'm so glad to hear it's easy to pre-board.  For the first time, I'll be needing it.  Glad to know that I don't have beg or prove my existence. 

Gstevenson
Explorer A

Ya.....I'm with you. I guess that's the new Rapid Rewards program. 

gatosur
Explorer C

If you really need a particular seat or are traveling with others and really have to sit together then you should choose an airline that let's you reserve seats when you buy your tickets. 

route66lil
Explorer C

@ffflyer 

SW continues to have inexpensive NON-STOP flights.  When I can get to my destination quickly without stopovers, I fly SW.  When that's not an option, I choose another airline.  My concern is mostly with the tiny seats and I weigh 130.  Can't imagine what the seat feels like to a 6 foot man/woman. Boarding is well known as the "cattle-call."  It's what you get with SW for over 20 years.  You'd think folks would be used it by now. 

Gstevenson
Explorer A

SW instituted Rapid Rewards, as you say, about 20 years ago, to attract and incentivize the business traveler. SW, like other airlines, recognize the value of the business traveler and provide certain. promises and incentives (very modest) as a "reward" to those of us who must travel on business for a living. The issue that I, and apparently others have, is SW continues to erode the value of the incentive to fly with them. As much as I love SW, as a consumer, I'm going to spend my travel dollars in a place that provides me the most value. Assuming all you folks who are fine with preboard cheaters, wish to castigate those of us who demand value for our dollar, I will gladly accept your Rapid Rewards for payment for the reduced value of my mileage program so I can continue to fly SW. Gee Whiz y'all are swell!!

tbealinternet
Explorer C

I just wanted to voice my support for this concern.  There needs to be a reasonable policy change.  Those with legitimate assistance needs should board first but that doesn't mean they should board with 15 people.  It is being abused.  As a mom who had A status, my small child was never able to board A with me so I'm really not understanding how entire families are boarding with preboards.  

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

SWA main concern is getting everyone on board and in a seat as quickly as possible. I actually like this prioirity as I don't like to waste time.

If you really need a particular seat or are traveling with others and really have to sit together then you should choose an airline that let's you reserve seats when you buy your tickets. (For an extra fee of course. But then, you also pay extra for EB on SWA so...)

SWA uses a cattle call approach to bording. It is frustrating to see so many people cheat to get on ahead of others but, as I said, this isn't SWA's concern.

With every flight I book I look closer and closer at taking a different airline to avoid this boarding frustration. 

route66lil
Explorer C

I'm puzzled.  You're able to select seats on a SW flight or pay for upgraded seats?  I thought that was Delta. 

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@route66lil I think the point is that if the open seating works for you, go with SW. If you have the need/desire to have pre selected seating, choose another airline. 

For me, the benefits of flexibility with SW outweigh any of the downsides of open seating. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder