Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Pre-boarding

robbfoster
Explorer C

Same here, 2 years Companion and A-list preferred and I am seriously looking at going back to Alaska for as many flights as posisble, take the 1-3 hour 'hit' on time for going west to head east. 

I know there are limiations on what the gate agents can do, but applying a bit of common sense would go a long way to reward loyal customers.

Joelpeycke
Explorer C

I can't agree more.  Karma will catch these scammers but it is a shame and is causing me to switch to a different airline.  I'm A-list preferred with companion pass through end of 2018....  That I earned from flights, not cc benefits.  I fly weekly with SWA.  This practice of scammer pre boarding needs to be addressed - oh, and by the way, I am actually disabled from my combat service in the Army 10 years ago - and I don't abuse this for pre-board as I can still walk, thank God.  Shame on these people and shame on SWA for allowing it to happen.  Good luck keeping your frequent fliers.

Hiddendisabilit
Explorer A

“I’m A-lister” this sounds like a chartered plane would be perfect? 

Harris1217
Explorer C

Please continue to post your displeasure about the pre boarding process. It has taken a turn for the worse as customer agents will give their friends preboarding when it's clearly not needed and unethical. It's bad business and customers are not blind. I'm on a flight now with 9 preboard passengers. Seven were given the pass by their friend at the gate counter as a convenience.  One said, as we walked down to the plane, "I'm glad she was here because I'm never sitting in the back or between people". This is unacceptable and needs to be addressed. If you're going to allow people to take advantage of this then there needs to be assigned seating. You will not be satisfied until people start recording the boarding process and Sending footage to news outlets. Story being "scammed into paying to upgrade boarding position".

Cynbod
Explorer C

Some people with autoimmune diseases need preboard for reason you can see. I have a daughter that needs to sit in front seat if possable because of her autoimmune disease. My son needs to be close to the bathrooms because of his autoimmune disease. They both would rather not have their disorders. A flight can be very unconfortable for people with some autoimmune diseases. Be grateful you don't have to deal with what they do,which includes dirty looks from people wondering why they get preboard.

lorbarre
Explorer B

I understand and validate the concerns expressed about the pre-boarding passengers.  But you need to also be aware that sometimes a person has a TRUE invisible disability.  My 21 year old daughter appears perfectly healthy from the outside, but her autonomic system is out of whack which creates very complicated issues - she can pass out from standing too long, getting overheated, etc.  So yes, she can walk around the gate unassisted, but I don't think you want her in the line-up process, or stuck in the hot gateway, because if she passes out, then guess what - the whole flight will be delayed while they call for EMTs.  Believe me, she would GLADLY give up her disability and stand in line if she had the choice.

FrontRowFlyer
Explorer A

All of these comments regarding 'fake' injuries are really interesting. I often travel with a daughter in her mid-twenties who has debilitating rheumatoid  arthritis. She 'looks' healthy and vibrant on the outside, however, she moves slow and is often in a lot of pain. This daughter has been pushed and knocked over by other fliers who were trying to get around her without apology. It saddens me to see what this world has come to. The plane will leave with everyone at the same time.

Be calm. Be kind. 

My daughter refuses a wheelchair because of the stigma attached to it. She has the option to pre-board so she can sit closer to the bathroom as well as ease of getting on and off the plane without having to stand too long. 

I have learned that some people without disabilites can be very cruel and intolerant because they don't want to be inconvenienced.

A day in a disabled person's shoes would shed some light on their perspective. If they could fly as an A-lister who earned it, I'm sure they would. My daughter has earned the best 'courage' badge for how she remains kind to all people inspite of their judgmental stares, etc. 

Happy travels to you all!

jmcmd
Adventurer C

As usual, those who "game" the system ruin it for the truly needy.  I wish SWA would just assign seats, then every passenger knows what they have purchased and where they belong.

macajoro44
Explorer C

I wish they would assign seats also.  We gladly pay extra on other airlines for better seats, if available.  Several years ago my mother and I were in Europe, she was in her late 70s and had a bad hip.  I requested a wheelchair for her because I was having a difficult time navigating Heathrow Airport, taking care of our bags and having to stop several times so she could rest her hip.  She was so angry at me because she was embarrassed and said she did not need one (which she did).  It has not been an issue with her since and she always gives a great tip.  Now I am in my mid-70s and am flying alone for the first time in years.  I have health issues, including heart problems which require me to have a monitor implanted in my chest, I take cancer medication which causes me to have severe vertigo on accasion.  I have request a wheelchair at the Tampa airport because of these issues but am reluctant to take advantage of this service because, I look fine, and don't want  anyone to think I am trying to take advantage.

ronnyradio
Adventurer A

I don't believe anyone complaining about the abuse of early boarding would take issue with your daughter boarding early.  The rest of your post about  people being intolerant of the disabled and not wanting to be "inconvenienced" by those who are disabled is really a straw-man argument. The fact is that SWA provides a huge incentive to scam the preboard process by having open seating.