Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Pre-boarding

rburton12
Explorer A

Not what I meant, let me clarify as it's on me if I left room out there for confusion.

I am A list preferred, my 10 year old was flying with me and I purchased early bird for her.  I did the right thing and boarded with her at A52, I was A 17, following the rules.  My point was that with all the pre boards it was a very real possibility that we would not be able to sit next to each other, that is a problem when you consider my status and the fact that I paid for early boarding for her.

Exit row was a different rant, took a flight to Tampa last night, approx 20 chairs, at least another 20 or 30 companions or walk on preboarders, I had A 16.  No chance of exit seat, ended up in the middle of the plane, so much for status.  FYI, about 90% of the wheelchair passagners walked off the plane with no assistance.  Plane was also delayed 20 minutes as the airline only had two employees to wheel the passangers into the cabin, very unprepared, third employee joined them towards the end.

Just want to also note that I do feel for the SW employees, they do an excellent job dealing these types of situations.  They are under stress to get these flights turned and could use some help at the gate when large number of preboarders are anticipated.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I haven't always gotten availability of an exit row when I have A-16 to A-20 type numbers, but I often do when the flight number originates at MDW but less often when it is a through flight. To @chgoflyer's point, no pre-boarder or pre-boarder companion should be taking the exit row, and I do think the FA watch out for this...you'd have the right to call them out for reseating. The through passengers however would be able to take those spots, as well as the A1-A15 people. If that TPA flight was a through flight, that was probably the issue.

In your first example that must have been quite a heavy preboard activity. I think any two people together in A-group would usually be comfortable to sit together.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

tpegan
Explorer A

With the 737 Max coming Southwest would have to start issuing D boarding passes if it wasn't for the large/growing number of pre-boarders.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@tpegan wrote:

With the 737 Max coming Southwest would have to start issuing D boarding passes if it wasn't for the large/growing number of pre-boarders.

Southwest's 737-MAX aircraft, some of which are already flying, have 175 seats -- same as the 737-800s.

A+B+C = 180 positions.

Preboarders still have to check in and be assigned a boarding position, fyi.

joe8795
Explorer C

On a recent flight, I saw a man walking around the gate area without difficulty but sat in a wheelchair for pre-boarding, also 2 adult children accompaned their mother who rode in a wheel chair to pre-board, and an apparently-healthy man wearing scrubs who pre-boarded.

lorbarre
Explorer B

I understand and validate the concerns expressed about the pre-boarding passengers.  But you need to also be aware that sometimes a person has a TRUE invisible disability.  My 21 year old daughter appears perfectly healthy from the outside, but her autonomic system is out of whack which creates very complicated issues - she can pass out from standing too long, getting overheated, etc.  So yes, she can walk around the gate unassisted, but I don't think you want her in the line-up process, or stuck in the hot gateway, because if she passes out, then guess what - the whole flight will be delayed while they call for EMTs.  Believe me, she would GLADLY give up her disability and stand in line if she had the choice.

615Paige
Explorer C

Please keep in mind that not all disabilities are visible. 

Im 24 but was diagnosed with lupus at 17. I have handicapped parking and always preboard. I would be offended to think someone would accuse me of cheating the system, when in actuality, I have spent months at a time in ICUs because I get dizzy from prolonged standing.

But if you were to look at me, you wouldn't know that without knowing me. 

That isnt to say I haven't seen people abuse handicap programs as well. But sometimes the seemingly healthy looking individuals could have what is considered an invisible disease, where from the outside, there aren't any signs to a complete stranger. 

Hiddendisabilit
Explorer A

Yes please people just because a person can walk does not mean they don’t have other problems that you cannot see. Stop making us feel like we are evil...we are suffering more than you can even imagine!

CheeseheadKelly
Explorer C

Unreal! I wouldn't have even thought to fake anything just to pre-board - until i read it here. I would still NEVER do something like that. I'm 51 years old and still find it difficult to not trust people in general and to look at someone and think they are just faking it. However, after reading this stuff, I'm going to look at people differently on Monday as I'm boarding. I'm also starting to think that paying $15 extra for Early-Bird check-in each way may be a waste of my money! Makes me sad to know people are out there that are cheaters and liars.

budo1982
Explorer C

We've been flying exclusivly with SWA for a few years now and have seen the rampant abuse of this boarding loophole. I'm a A-list & Compainon Pass holder so we see this take place on virtually every fight directly in front of us.