Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Pre-boarding

elong0003
Explorer C

I understand the regulations need to be changed. As an A-List Preferred and companion pass holder, I see this more often than not on every flight. I have started flying other carriers where I can be guaranteed a seat of my preference. I like SW, but it may take a mass desertion of us to get the message to management. Sad thing is I probably won't be back.

delivron
Explorer C

I know how A list passengers really appreciate being early in line.   I am 6'3" and 300 lbs so a over the wing seat is cherished.  

I recently had back surgery and let it be known the surgon has no desire to see me fly to Indy for Christmas from Albany NY.   I will be asking to pre board.   I walk without a cane and just a week shy of surgery I am walking at the rate of 3 MPH.   But not being able to strech my left leg out streight I would land in servere pain and most likely damage the great work the surgon has done.  

Yes, this time I am headed to bulk head isle.   I hope you will pardon me. 

In the meantime have a Merry Christmas.

A deLivron

Hiddendisabilit
Explorer A

Hide your cane and watch how all the non disabled people will look at you like you are faking it! 

Going on with this preboard is totally humiliating...who would be willing to do it without good cause? I would trade my hidden disability for a place in line with the non disabled any day. My disability has completely ruined my life my relationships my income. Wake up people!

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

SWA is in a bad spot because the ACAA prevents them from asking much on a preboard.

What SWA can control though is limiting them to one family member with them and the others can board with their assigned group.

It may cut down on the large groups and discourage attempted seat saving.  

Any seats without a body in it, I sit in.  They get mad, and most of the time just move to the rear.  But sometimes they get nasty and aggressive.  SWA needs to be more proactive in stopping that by having the FAs enforce a non saving policy.

MusicCityTiger
Explorer A

Amen to that!  I was just commenting to my travel companion last week about the rediculous amount of pre boards, with their entire family tagging along with them!  I had a Business Select ticket and sat almost to the middle of the plane to get an ailse seat!  I am also A List Prefered and we have Companion Pass too.

Hockeyguy02
Explorer C

I think they should rename the Airline to the 'Miracle Airline'. It always amazes me with the number of people,particularly needing wheelchair assistance getting on the plane, with the number of wheelchairs needed getting off the plane. 

My record number is 17 wheelchairs on and 2 getting off. I beleive the true disability is loss of hearing, as the flight attendants announced 4 times, those needing assistance, please wait while the other passengers get off the plane. Needless to say they all get off much more spritely, than when they get on. Must be closer to the heavens and the healing powers.

Hiddendisabilit
Explorer A

CAN you please tell us what the best seats are? Perhaps if disabled people knew they would leave them for the very special people? I would if it would guarantee that people would not hate my existence because I am disabled and do not look disabled. 

delivron
Explorer C

Best Seats depends on a lot on needs.   I am 6"3 I need leg room.  Even though I am wide  I can manage a narrow seat I can't manage a seat that the passenger has reclined against my knees.  As a result, I find over the wing excellent in the exit aisle but if I get advanced boarding I can't use those seats.   Next best is starboard seat isle 1st row.  That you can fly on preboard.  Other may need a position near a lavatory.  On Southwest that is in the rear or near the front.  

Also while flight attendants on Southwest are extremely friendly and helpful. If you can't get your bag overhead check it.  It is not their responsibility to hoist it overhead for you. 

So the rule for me this Christmas season is Check Bags don't pull it around the airport unless you want more back surgery.    Yes I know a few of you are happy to see this so you can put yours overhead.  

A deLivron

rburton12
Explorer A

Like many others have mentioned the problem is open seating is the incentive to game the system.  Also a list preferred, going on 20 years with Southwest with over half flying at least 30 plus flights per year, seen it all.  Flying with a 10 year old this weekend, did the right thing, I got assigned a 17, paid for early boarding for her, she got a 52.  So many pre boarders that the gate agent announced the flight may be delayed.  I had to sweat it out hoping that we could sit together, this with my status and the fact I paid for early birding aka following the rules while watching other abusing it.  As I walked on the plane I saw the preboarders some of who "reserved" the two adjacent seats next to them for companions.  Also, again like others have said, no chance of getting exit seats even it I board before A 20.  Southwest needs to fix this, major pain point for the business traveler, use the ADA rules as an excuse but they have to take the incentives out.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@rburton12 wrote:

Like many others have mentioned the problem is open seating is the incentive to game the system.  Also a list preferred, going on 20 years with Southwest with over half flying at least 30 plus flights per year, seen it all.  Flying with a 10 year old this weekend, did the right thing, I got assigned a 17, paid for early boarding for her, she got a 52.  So many pre boarders that the gate agent announced the flight may be delayed.  I had to sweat it out hoping that we could sit together, this with my status and the fact I paid for early birding aka following the rules while watching other abusing it.  As I walked on the plane I saw the preboarders some of who "reserved" the two adjacent seats next to them for companions.  Also, again like others have said, no chance of getting exit seats even it I board before A 20.  Southwest needs to fix this, major pain point for the business traveler, use the ADA rules as an excuse but they have to take the incentives out.

A 10 year old can't sit in the exit seat anyway.

Pre-boarders can't sit in the exit row. If you board before A-20 you generally have a very good chance of getting an exit row.