Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pre-boards

PamG
Explorer C

Pre-boards on SW are a joke. If someone needs help getting onto the plane in a wheelchair, they should have to wait for a wheelchair at the other end.

I have seen all too often multipe wheel chair needs getting onto the plane, and not a single one needing it to get off the plane! 

Last week I watched 12 wheel chair pre boards, and not a single one needed it to get off the plane.

My husband is an A lister, and I pay the price to get earlybird status, lately getting B boarding which means AFTER family... starting to look at other airlines.

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Pre-boards

jksobonya
Aviator A

"starting to look at other airlines"

You can put me on the very back of the plane and I'll still take Southwest any day with their free checked bags and *no change or cancellation fees* - if you want to pay hundreds more on other airlines only to be "assured" a specific seat, then by all means, they will be more than happy to take your money.

--Jessica

gsking
Aviator C

Why did you pay extra?  Seems like the chances of you getting a middle seat next to your A-lister husband is about 100%.

Other airlines would be penny wise, pound foolish in my opinion.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @PamG. We follow federal regulations in offering preboarding to Customers with disabilities in order to comply with the Air Carrier Access Act. It's also important to note that many of our Customers have disabilities that are not necessarily visible or restricted to a specific age group (e.g., diseases that cause blood clots, epilepsy, autism, etc.). Nevertheless, we regret any frustration. 

Nicole
Community Manager

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

True, the ACAA forces airlines to comply with certain rules and as an airline with no assigned seating SWA cannot dictate what seat can be used.

However, the preboard fakers are a real issue, especially out of LAS, MCO, ISP......

We are not talking about people with hidden issues, we are talking about what your own employees joke about and call them miracle flights.

Ive watched these people preboard, heft their huge oversized bags into the overhead, and on arrival bound off the plane and go through the terminal like they were running a marathon.

Passenger1C
Aviator C

I agree seeing preboarders take advantage of the system is frustrating, but there is no way to police the process without ending up in court. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

Jack72223
Explorer C

Nicole - agree with those who clearly see the preboard qualification process as one that is easily "gamed".  I observe way too many "disability" imposters as mentioned in this conversation and am sure it is obvious to Southwest employees and management as well.   Not satisfactory for Southwest to throw up "gov't regulations" as the reason for not solving this.  I don't advocate non-compliance here, but believe Southwest can better manage this process to keep it from being a laughing-stock issue not only with YOUR employees, but also your (valued??) customer base.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Jack72223 wrote:

Nicole - agree with those who clearly see the preboard qualification process as one that is easily "gamed".  I observe way too many "disability" imposters as mentioned in this conversation and am sure it is obvious to Southwest employees and management as well.   Not satisfactory for Southwest to throw up "gov't regulations" as the reason for not solving this.  I don't advocate non-compliance here, but believe Southwest can better manage this process to keep it from being a laughing-stock issue not only with YOUR employees, but also your (valued??) customer base.  

Well Jack, whether you like it or not, federal law does tie the company's hands in the matter.

To change that, you have to change the law. If you want to see that, contact your representative and senators.  BTW, good luck with that effort.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

SWA has to comply with the ACAA.

Maybe your frustration needs to be addressed to those who wrote that law?

@Jack72223 wrote:

mrsstats
Adventurer C

What I don't understand is why you don't have to have proof.  When you get a handicap sticker for parking you have to get something from your doctor.  Why can't the same be done with this.  And yes I know that there are people out there with handicap stickers that shouldn't have them but it might cut down on the ones doing the fake preboards.