Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: PreBoarders

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

Lets also give that to police and firefighters as well, and the retirees as well.”

Absolutely. Military, police, firefighters, all who put their lives on the line for our safety. 

It world really show where SWA stands if they allowed all true heroes and their families to board first. I’d gladly step aside. 

neilfeldman
Explorer B

My wife has MS, so she counts as a pre-board! I always book my reservation for her as a wheelchair needed to and from the gate. Unless there is some sort of proof to show disability, you won’t be granted a pre-board!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@neilfeldman wrote:

My wife has MS, so she counts as a pre-board! I always book my reservation for her as a wheelchair needed to and from the gate. Unless there is some sort of proof to show disability, you won’t be granted a pre-board!

We're veering off topic here (this unfortunately mis-titled thread is actually about military boarding)... but just for the sake of accuracy:

You do not need to show any "proof" of disability in order to preboard. In fact, by federal law air carriers can't require it.

On Southwest, if you request a preboard pass, you'll be asked: Do you need assistance boarding the plane, and/or a specific seat onboard to accommodate your disability?

If the answer is "yes," you will be allowed to preboard.

jksobonya
Aviator A

I think any military member, in uniform or not, should have at least -some- priority when boarding. They are protecting our country and under enormous amounts of pressure and stress, much more than the average person. At the very least, they deserve some special treatment while flying on Southwest (or any airline for that matter), even if that treatment is only boarding between the A and B groups. Let them have it. 

--Jessica

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@jksobonya Why? I'm far from anti-military, but I'm also tired of the sense of entitlement surrounding the military. We have an all voluntary military, most of whom do it for the same reasons that we all take the jobs that we have. My last straw was the following incident:

https://www.wistv.com/story/14865981/army-unit-returning-from-afghanistan-pays-2800-for-extra-bags/

They were supposed to pay for the bags and be reimbursed, but they acted like children (not the professional military that I expect), and everyone supported them. 

Thank you for your service. The same goes to police and physicians and teachers and everyone else who works to feed their families.

gsking
Aviator C

Entitlement?   Do any of those jobs you listed require you to be away from home for months on end?  Not to mention the whole combat thing for many of them...

My takeaway is that Delta is collecting $200 of my tax dollars to carry a bag.  That's the final straw for me. 

I'll gladly take a middle seat next to any service member,  uniformed or not.   Based on the last year and a half, they certainly seem MUCH less entitled than most teachers in my state of California.   Doing everything you can to stay home and avoid teaching kids isn't my idea of noble sacrifice. 

MauiGal
Explorer A

I completely agree and have heard announcements for military pre-boarding.  You haven't?