Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

PreBoarders

Slengelgau
Explorer C

I have an issue with Military only being able to preboard if they are in uniform.  My son is in the Navy and he does not travel in his uniform as most don’t when they have leave, the last thing they want to do is wear their uniform when they don’t have to. I think it is a very poor policy as these men and women deserve this small perk.  I don’t understand if they are active why it would make any difference to show their Id when they scan their boarding pass, it will not hold the line up any longer than everyone trying to shove their bags into the overheads.

thanks for your time

19 REPLIES 19

Re: PreBoarders

dfwskier
Aviator A

Just as a reminder, this is a customer to customer forum. You won't get a formal response to your comment here. If you want to make a suggetion or comment directly to Southwest, just use one of the methods listed on the top left side of the contact us web page:

https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-CONTACT-US

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Because letting uniformed military members preboard is a courtesy for those traveling on orders.  If you are not uniformed, you should not have the ability to preboard with an ID card.  Lets also give that to police and firefighters as well, and the retirees as well.

What you suggest is just a self entitled perk that you are seeking.

There is enough problems with the fake medical condition preboarders too cheap to pay for the priority boarding.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@spacecoastbill wrote:

Because letting uniformed military members preboard is a courtesy for those traveling on orders.  If you are not uniformed, you should not have the ability to preboard with an ID card.  Lets also give that to police and firefighters as well, and the retirees as well.

What you suggest is just a self entitled perk that you are seeking.

There is enough problems with the fake medical condition preboarders too cheap to pay for the priority boarding.

Lots of misinformation here. Sounds like maybe some don't understand how military boarding actually works on Southwest?

To begin with, this topic really has nothing to do with preboarding. Military members do not preboard.

Southwest allows active duty, uniformed members of the U.S. armed forces to board between the “A” and “B” boarding groups.

Military members typically do not travel in uniform. Some OPs agents will still allow military boarding with a military ID, but many choose instead to direct the member to board at their assigned position. Southwest allows them the discretion to do so.

This inconsistent policy interpretation creates confusion and often disappointment, and is a source of frequent complaint. The situation is compounded by a limitation on those traveling on military fares prohibiting online check in prior to arrival at the airport. Ultimately, the policy compares unfavorably with other major carriers (which, admittedly, have less at stake since they utilize assigned seating). 

Also, fyi... on Southwest it is impossible to "pay for the priority boarding."

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

OK, UPGRADED boarding.  Im sure you were aware what I was talking about.

Upgraded Boarding is an opportunity to secure an earlier boarding position in the A1 - A15 boarding group when available. Customers will have the option to purchase at the ticket counter or gate for $30, $40, or $50 per segment depending on Customer's itinerary. Upgraded Boarding secures you a position in the A1 - A15 group, but does not offer any of the other benefits associated with a Business Select Fare. A-List and A-List Preferred Members will continue to receive Priority Boarding as a benefit, and all Customers will continue having the opportunity to purchase EarlyBird Check-In when booking their travel. However, Customers can now also improve their boarding position at the gate on the day of travel with Upgraded Boarding when available.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@spacecoastbill wrote:

OK, UPGRADED boarding.  Im sure you were aware what I was talking about.

So actually, no -- I wasn't. 😉

You said, "There is enough problems with the fake medical condition preboarders too cheap to pay for the priority boarding," which made me think you might be under the mistaken impression one could pay to preboard.

Thanks for clarifying!

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

So actually, no -- I wasn't. Smiley Wink

You said, "There is enough problems with the fake medical condition preboarders too cheap to pay for the priority boarding," which made me think you might be under the mistaken impression one could pay to preboard.

Thanks for clarifying!

Correct.  I was talking about those faking the need to preboard to save the cost of the upgraded boarding.  I have paid it, and it does really make me mad watching those obviously faking it.  Before anyone starts with the hidden medical problem stuff, I have watched people walking around the terminal with zero problems right up until boarding time when they then walk to the gate and sit in a wheelchair.  And as usual, the miracle healing in flight when they jump up grab the bag in the overhead and walk briskly through the terminal on their way out.

USN1729
Explorer C

Also, your response is inaccurate that this is intended to help active duty on orders. As an active duty member currently traveling on orders, you are not allowed to wear your uniform. This policy was put in place due to the threat of uniformed service members becoming targets during a hijacking/terrorist threat.

No service members, active duty, on orders, flying to the middle east, no one can benefit from this policy.

Mamavictx
Explorer C

Not sure if you are aware but Per Marine Corps regulations that are never allowed to travel in Uniform so they should be a one out 5 branches allowed 

Jlgnerli
Explorer C

I agree that active duty should not need to be In uniform to preboard. No other airline has that policy.