Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: PreBoarding

wasacustomer
Explorer C

1)you may be right but it would still be a deterrent. I have seen people preboard with a wheelchair who looked like OJ Simpson in one of the old commercials when the plane landed. I guess it was a miracle! If these people had the moral fiber to follow the rules set out for for us all to live with, we would not be having this discussion

2)the letter only has to state that they are under the doctors care and require preboarding. If it is illegal under privacy laws, then it is illegal to ask for a letter stating a person is under the care of a mental health professional and need a therapy animal in their lap.

This is a problem that southwest needs to correct. It only matters on this carrier due to the seating policy. I dont think we would like that so lets enforce the rules that are there.

wasacustomer
Explorer C

I understand there are people that need to be preboarded due to a disability. I understand they need (1) assistant. I understand that there are regulations that Southwest and I must adhere to. I understand that there are people that have no moral fiber that will abuse the system. Solution: If someone needs to preboard, wherever they sit, they should stay in that seat until all other passengers have gotten off. Southwest can control that. The legitimate preboarders usually have to wait for their assistant anyway.

What I do not understand is calling customer relations and asking about pre-boarding policies  and being treated like a criminal for asking what the policy is. My recent experience from the representative I spoke to tells me they are tired of hearing about it and it is now my fault for asking the questions. I was very disappointed about the attitude i was met with. I  may use up my points and find a new carrier. How's this work.??...I will get my tickets with points, bring my companion along with our pet who will now be designated as a emotional support animal because SW treated me so badly. I can then answer Yes to one of the three questions and preboard. Wait until everyone figures that out!!

Southwest...You can fix this and be fair to all. Stop being a vcitim to regulations and get some backbone. Your paying customers will appreciate it.

Gstevenson
Explorer A

RIGHT ON!!! 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

There are no "business boarding seats" or "business seats".  All seats on Southwest are available to all passengers, regardless of fare paid or class of fare purchased.

Southwest's preboarding policy is: "Preboarding is available for Customers who have a specific seating need to accommodate their disability and/or need assistance in boarding the aircraft or stowing an assistive device." 

No airline can question or require proof of a disability so it is up to passengers to be honest when requesting to preboard. Preboarders are not allowed to sit in an emergency exit row. 

Unless your flight is at its origination point you may also have through passengers who are already onboard when you get on. These are passengers who flew in from the previous city and stayed on the flight to travel to the next city. After all other passengers deplane, through passengers can choose to move to any seat they would like. 

--TheMiddleSeat

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat I recently got on a plane with over 50 through passengers!!!  I had a great boarding position, but no exit row for me on that flight! 🙂

Agreed -- this all comes down to folks being honest.  I have just stopped watching the pre-board process so that I don't make assumptions about the need for pre-boarding.  It makes the whole experience a whole lot better.

-A List, Companion Pass holder