Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Preboard: can I get designation in my Rapid Reward profile?

kasey97
Adventurer C

I have a tracheostomy and carry medical equipment that needs to be with me at all times; so I ask politely to be pre-boarded on flites.  During the past several flites, I simply asked the gate attendant and he/she gladly scanned my ticket, and I proceeded to board.  Well, last week when I did the same, the gate agent looked at my ticket and loudly proclaimed "you don't have preboard on your ticket", and acted as if she was going to rebuff my preboard request.  I said something like Maam, I need extra time and have medical equipment, and I've always just asked and was allowed to preboard.  I even pointed to my tracheostomy tube in my neck.  She rolled her eyes, scanned my ticket, and I moved on to the plane.  After this unsettling incident, I realized that a Preboard designation COULD be placed on my ticket prior to boarding.  So....on my flite two days ago, I went to the gate counter agent in advance, she put the Preboard designation on my ticket, and I was "legit" preboard.  This wasn't, on this occasion,  hard to do.  But sometimes the counter is busy, wait is long to speak to agent, etc.  So, my question is.....is there any way to set up my reservation with Preboard designation at time of booking?  Like have it in my Rapid Rewards profile? Kind of like or similar to when a person requests a wheelchair/wheelchair assistance?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Preboard: can I get designation in my Rapid Reward profile?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

There is not a way to save the designation and you do need to request it at the gate counter for every boarding. Your suggestion would be good to pass along to Southwest. Use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message to Southwest.

--TheMiddleSeat

kasey97
Adventurer C

Thanks and noted.  I guess this is another example of gate agents inconsistently enforcing policy.  Multiple times I simply asked at the entrance to jetbridge during Preboard announcement; and was happily accommodated by the agent ("of course Ms. Wollenberg").  This is my experience on other airlines also (American, Delta, etc).  They do not require specific written designation on my boarding pass. If Southwest strictly does, then I guess gate agent should nicely and quietly explain this ("Maam, u need to get Preboard on your boarding pass. I'll let you board now, but pls keep this in mind for future flights.)"

dfwskier
Aviator A

as themiddleseat explained in the post above yours, SW 

does not require pre board status to be on your boarding pass. As a matter of fact, I am not aware of any way to make that happen.

All humans make mistakes on occasion - even gate agents.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@kasey97 wrote:

Thanks and noted.  I guess this is another example of gate agents inconsistently enforcing policy.  Multiple times I simply asked at the entrance to jetbridge during Preboard announcement; and was happily accommodated by the agent ("of course Ms. Wollenberg").  This is my experience on other airlines also (American, Delta, etc).  They do not require specific written designation on my boarding pass. If Southwest strictly does, then I guess gate agent should nicely and quietly explain this ("Maam, u need to get Preboard on your boarding pass. I'll let you board now, but pls keep this in mind for future flights.)"

The written policy online does ask for you to request the preboarding status at either the ticket counter or the gate desk, rather than directly from the gate agent during boarding. 

I can understand the gate agent should have the discretion to allow it as well though, it makes sense that you would rarely be challenged on it.

https://www.southwest.com/help/day-of-travel/boarding-process (Open the last section)

You shouldn't have an issue requesting it from the gate desk even if the ticket counters are busy.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.