Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Preboard madness

Explorer C

When are the gate attendants going to stop allowing families on with one preboard? Just on a trip to Orlando a family of 10 boarded. When I mentioned something the attendant told me to write a letter. The rules are they are allowed one to assist.  It's sad SW allows people to keep doing this. Am I the only one who feels this way?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Preboard madness

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

I feel your pain, and ultimately you're right, enforcement of the company's current in place policy would solve so much of this "madness."

In the attendant's defense, confronting this abuse slows down the boarding process and since we live in the "I am entitled" world we do live in, could also escalate into a verbal/physical altercation with the preboarder's "support staff". In short, the SWA attendant is pursuing the path of least resistance to get boarding completed.

Take a few deep breaths and enjoy your flight 

Safe travels

Explorer C

Unfortunately I do agree that is the problem. Its just hard when you pay extra to board first and you end up getting on the plane after 30 or so depending on the flight preboarders. So sad. I guess if you can't beat them join them and the rule inforcement will be in effect.

Be well and safe travels

gsking
Aviator C

Think through it pragmatically.   

The one person can preboard and you accept that, right?

They have 9 family members, right?  Any harm in that?  No?

But you want 8 of them to board later?  Why?  

So you can sit in the middle of their family gathering?  Doubtful.

So you can make them spread out through the plane and make a bunch of other people sit in the middle of their discussions?  Odd.

Do you see my point?  My answer to you is...why do you care?  What actual harm or inconvenience do you get by their situation?  Yes, it may seem like they are "breaking the rules", but I really don't see any actual skin off your nose.

On the contrary, be glad their boarding hassles are out of sight on the plane while you're still relaxing in the terminal.   Personally, it bothers me more to see people misplacing their baggage and trying to shove oversized bags in the overhead bin.  I'd rather let that cacophony happen out of my earshot and then slip right past them after they are in their seats.

Just another way to look at it...

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

Think through it pragmatically.   

The one person can preboard and you accept that, right?

They have 9 family members, right?  Any harm in that?  No?

But you want 8 of them to board later?  Why?  

So you can sit in the middle of their family gathering?  Doubtful.

So you can make them spread out through the plane and make a bunch of other people sit in the middle of their discussions?  Odd.

Do you see my point?  My answer to you is...why do you care?  What actual harm or inconvenience do you get by their situation?  Yes, it may seem like they are "breaking the rules", but I really don't see any actual skin off your nose.

On the contrary, be glad their boarding hassles are out of sight on the plane while you're still relaxing in the terminal.   Personally, it bothers me more to see people misplacing their baggage and trying to shove oversized bags in the overhead bin.  I'd rather let that cacophony happen out of my earshot and then slip right past them after they are in their seats.

Just another way to look at it...

I use this approach as well, I'm usually trying for about a third of the way back, or exit row if I see it open or if I get to the exit row and it gets snatched up then I take the row behind the exit row so I don't get reclined into.

So personally I'm not fighting any of the preboarders most of the time, but I can see if someone was trying for a front of the plane location for a quick exit this would be frustrating to see so many preboards.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I preboard on every flight.  It is my right under ADA.

As far as the whole family, a preboard person can take with them one companion.  When the whole family with kids wants to preboard, the question is what do they do with the kids when they aren't on the plane?

If they are able to keep up with the kids, then they don't need to preboard.

Next time, request a wheelchair and you will be first on and off the plane.  I just watched a family abuse the preboard policy on the way from Los Cabos MX to Houston.  They probably were awake all night trying to rig the preboard rules so that they could all get the front rows.

Next time, I'm requesting a wheelchair to get on ahead of these people.