Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Preboard

Jtrich2
Explorer C

Regarding preboards.......on just about every SWA flight I take, I see about a half dozen people line up with the preboards with no apparent handicap or affliction.   These folks are not elderly, or do not appear to be traveling with anyone who is handicapped.  As a long time A lister I am confused with this phenomenon.  Can you please explain what’s going on here?

thanks

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Preboard

SWDigits
Aviator A

This is a pretty frequent topic in the discussion forums and most of us here are customers too so if you're looking for a response directly from Southwest I recommend clicking the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the forum pages.  Twitter reportedly gets the fastest response.

Do note that many medical conditions are not visible.

Customer | Home airport DCA

dfwskier
Aviator A

The answer to your question is that Federal law requires airlines to let any passenger who claims a need

to preboard --- to actully preboard. The law also prohibits the airline from asking the reason for the request.

Jtrich2
Explorer C

So in other words, just lie and cheat the system.  No repercussions.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Jtrich2 wrote:

So in other words, just lie and cheat the system.  No repercussions.

So what repercussions do you suggest?  .. given that

1) Federal law prohibits airlines from asking any passenger the specific reason for the need to preboard?

2) The airline will find itself on the losing end of any lawsuit charging it with violating #1 above

If you don't like the law, contact your senators and congressperson and tell them that you want the law changed.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

More specifically, disabilities requiring a specific seat or assistance boarding the plane may not always be visibly apparent. 

ochterski
Explorer C
Solution

This right here is it. I have Epilepsy, you can’t tell by looking at me. I require an aisle seat in event of a seizure so I can easily be laid on the floor. I don’t look like I have a disability and need a preboard but I assure you it’s medically necessary.

Shaverdan
Explorer C

This may be the case that brought me here. I’m seeing some guys pre boarding on my trip (on two flights with them) that look perfectly fine. But now I’m wondering if something underlying is going on. They look like young businessmen. But who knows? 

Aborden12
Explorer C

I pre board sometime w/ my service dog sometimes without,depending on length of trip,

I had a stroke can't tell but it affects my whole left side and hands arm,& leg I need a certain side of the plane.so I can maneuver, reach& belt. my dog is trained for seizure  detection...

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Jtrich2 wrote:

These folks are not elderly, or do not appear to be traveling with anyone who is handicapped.  

Stop. 

--TheMiddleSeat