Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Preboard

disneyGSmom
Explorer C

I will be flying with my daughter in mother in law. My mother in law has back and knee problems and will require my assistance getting into and out of her seat. She also needs aisle seat, as she will need to get up to stretch during the flight. Lastly, if she stands in line waiting to board, she will likely be in pain the rest of the day.  We do not want to abuse preboarding, and are wondering if this situation qualifies. I would also prefer not to leave my daughter (12) alone in the airport if mother in law and I preboard. I have considered purchasing Early check-In for my daughter but she would still be alone for a period of time. Would it be acceptable for her to board with us?

We would sit near the back of the plane, since mother in-law will need help getting out of her seat, and also walks a bit slow.   

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Preboard

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

This sounds like a very good use of preboarding which is intended for passengers who need specific seating due to a disability.  While it may not be the "I have a handicap placard" type of disability, it appears to meet the qualifications.  Going by the letter of the preboarding policy only one other person would be able to board with the mother in law, but given that the lone additional person is a minor I highly doubt there will be any resistance to the child also  boarding during the preboarding period.  It's always best to speak with the gate agent before boarding starts, let them know your situation, and see what they say about it.  In these situations a polite question with a smile usually ends up with positive results.

Have a great trip,

--TheMiddleSeat

disneyGSmom
Explorer C

Thank you. That’s exactly what I plan on doing. I just know preboarding has gotten out of hand and don’t want to be part of the problem. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@disneyGSmom wrote:

Thank you. That’s exactly what I plan on doing. I just know preboarding has gotten out of hand and don’t want to be part of the problem. 

I suspect that the number of preboards is down a lot. Many preboards have medical issues and thus are not flying. I don't know that for a fact since I haven't been on a plane in almost 2 months.

I have a flight next Wednesday. I guess that I'll find out.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@disneyGSmom wrote:

I will be flying with my daughter in mother in law. My mother in law has back and knee problems and will require my assistance getting into and out of her seat. She also needs aisle seat, as she will need to get up to stretch during the flight. Lastly, if she stands in line waiting to board, she will likely be in pain the rest of the day.

We do not want to abuse preboarding, and are wondering if this situation qualifies.

Yes , you  and your mother would be eligible to preboard. Your mother would be able to use a wheel chair to board, so she would not need to stand in line

I would also prefer not to leave my daughter (12) alone in the airport if mother in law and I preboard. I have considered purchasing Early check-In for my daughter but she would still be alone for a period of time. Would it be acceptable for her to board with us?

I expect that if you explain the situation to the gate agent that all three of you will be able to preboard. The fact that planes are mostly empty makes that easier

We would sit near the back of the plane, since mother in-law will need help getting out of her seat, and also walks a bit slow.   

It's a long way to the back of the plane and the aisle is pretty narrow. Your mother might have trouble navigating it. Most preboards try to snag a bulkhead seat - row 1.

That's my recommendation

Have a good flight!

disneyGSmom
Explorer C

Thank you for your advice.