Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Preboarding Scammers

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

We're sorry for any frustration, @Brian-quigley, and we never want our valued Customers to feel ignored. As you may know, we follow federal regulations in offering preboarding to Customers with disabilities in order to comply with the Air Carrier Access Act of 1986. As a peer-to-peer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here on The Community, but we encourage you to reach out to us via official channels using the options in the link below. Thank you.

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint

Nicole
Community Manager

Brian-quigley
Explorer B

Thanks for responding.    I know SWA are good but varied enforcement and poor human nature does cause a lot of frequent travelers a feeling of unjust entitlement.   

Hope your good intentions can solve this as fair for ALL

I m not sure why your are required a handicap placard when using the designated parking spot while you are prevented from requesting such.  

I just can help thinking of a flight I had in Fort Meyers, where 25, old people thought they can preboard just because their old (I can say this because I'm 64 with advance Rheumatoid Arthritis ) and a young guy with a rod sticking out of his leg was literally push aside by the stampede of old farts. Maybe I complaining because I am ashamed of my fellow older travelers 

I think if a person has legitimate need they would have appropriate docs so scammers don't ruin it for everyone 

Remember it's your procedure and responsiblity to make it fair.  Especially if you are up charging 

Maybe I'm just need to retire

Thanks

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Brian-quigley wrote:

I think if a person has legitimate need they would have appropriate docs so scammers don't ruin it for everyone 

Remember it's your procedure and responsiblity to make it fair.  Especially if you are up charging 

Well,  Brian as has been said numerous times in this and other threads on the topic, Southwest has to follow federal law. The law prevents SW from asking to see papers

that document the need to preboard. SW can't ask about why someone needs to preboard. All people have to do is self declare a need to preboard, and federal law tells the airline to believe them - no questions asked.

The only way that changes is if the law is changed. Sorry if you don't like tha fact, but it is a fact.

asz777
Explorer C

@NicoleAshley i have emailed several times-inconsistent boarding procedures (ie people with far more than 2 carry ons), flight attendants allowing people to save seats, etc.   with nothing but a canned, automated, BS response.  If someone needs assistance boarding or requests a preboard, doesn’t it make sense them wait until the flight is completely deplaned and then can get off last.  I’m sure a lot of people will re-evaluate as to whether or not they REALLY need to preboard.   I understand you need to accommodate those that need assistance, but you also have an obligation to the remaining passengers (many of us loyal A List members AND SW credit card holders) who paid for our tickets and upgrades. Look at the number of comments on this topic in your own community site-looks like a lot of people notice this procedure needs to be adjusted 

floridaguy
Aviator C

The law is clear.  

Seat Assignment Criteria

Under the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA), airlines are required to provide certain seating accommodations to passengers with disabilities who self-identify as needing to sit in a cert...

• Movable Aisle Armrest: If you use an aisle chair to access the aircraft, and cannot transfer readily over a fixed aisle armrest.
  • Bulkhead Seat or Other Seat: If you are traveling with a service animal, that is best accommodated at a particular seat.
  • Greater Leg Room: If you have a fused or immobilized leg and need a seat that better accommodates your disability, including an aisle seat or a bulkhead seat.
  • An Adjoining Seat: If you are traveling with a person who is assisting you during the flight such as:
    • A personal care attendant who performs a function that is not required to be performed by airline personnel, for example assisting you with eating;
    • A reader if you are blind or visually impaired;
    • An interpreter if you are deaf or hard of hearing; or
    • A safety assistant, for example if you cannot assist with your own evacuation.

Note: If the conditions above do not apply to your situation, the airline is still required to provide you with a seat assignment that best accommodates your disability. This may include one of the seating accommodations listed under “Seat Assignment Criteria” above. However, if you do not meet the airline’s seating assignment criteria (ex. you did not check-in on time), the airline must only provide the seating accommodation to the extent practicable.

More specifically:

Do all airlines provide advance seat assignments?

• No. Some airlines do not provide advance seat assignments. 
      • If your airline does not provide an advance seat assignment, you can request to board the aircraft before other passengers if you need additional time or assistance to board, stow accessibility equipment, or select a seat that best meets your needs.

This subject has been discussed at length.  As long as the Federal Law is in place and Southwest has open seating, you will continue to have the "perfect storm" of those with a self-declared disability will be first to board the plane.

Other airlines do the same thing, but they pre-board to their assigned seat rather than any open seat.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@asz777 wrote:

@ If someone needs assistance boarding or requests a preboard, doesn’t it make sense them wait until the flight is completely deplaned and then can get off last.   

Assuming that people that pre board are considered handicapped, I believe it is against the law to treat handicapped people differently than non handicapped people. It's called discrimination. Thus what you suggest would be against the law.

Then there is the matter of handicapped people potentially missing connecting flights because they would be required to get off last (including those seated in the front of the plane specifically to get   off early in order to get to connecting flights).

floridaguy
Aviator C

I'm hearing that little song again....

John1158
Explorer B

So 16 wheelchairs then 5 others with mystery conditions can wait until A16 after those who have paid and flown more?  What is really amazing is those who need no assistance at the destination. Why should some pay more for their ticket only to be pushed down the list while those in group c buy the cheap seats and board first. And btw I have several disabilities myself. 

Jima
Explorer B

Charge a pre-boarding fee of $10 for the privilege of getting on before the Business Select customers. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

Might I suggest that you review FEDERAL LAW before posting such comments as recommendations to Southwest?