Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Preboarding Scammers

bouncethebox
Explorer C

Let's put aside that I pay for Business Select, Boarding Group A, Position 3 and it is no better than A31-A40 because of fraud and abuse.

Let's think about the the folks with legitimate disabilities that aren't protected from fraud and abuse of the boarding process in the Air Carrier Access Act.  Do you also tell the member with a disability complaining of the same fraud and abuse that they may be happier with another airline?  What would you tell them when they can't get the seat they need because gate agents hand them out like flyers for a new diner opening?

Also, is it true Southwest has a policy of 1 preboard and 1 attendant?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bouncethebox wrote:

Let's put aside that I pay for Business Select, Boarding Group A, Position 3 and it is no better than A31-A40 because of fraud and abuse.

Let's think about the the folks with legitimate disabilities that aren't protected from fraud and abuse of the boarding process in the Air Carrier Access Act.  Do you also tell the member with a disability complaining of the same fraud and abuse that they may be happier with another airline?  What would you tell them when they can't get the seat they need because gate agents hand them out like flyers for a new diner opening?

Also, is it true Southwest has a policy of 1 preboard and 1 attendant?

See posts 4 and 5 in the following thread:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Check-In-Boarding/How-many-Pre-s-in-Boarding-does-Southwest...

bouncethebox
Explorer C

I'm trying to see things from your point, honestly.  I'm not trying to be argumentative or combative.

Are you saying that folks without disabilities, can legally claim, without challenge or consequence, they do have a disability, and receive the same protections for folks with disabilities protected by the Air Carrier Access Act?  Surely this had to be predicted and remedied when the Act was written, no?

I just find it very hard to believe that the penalties for parking in a handicap spot are greater than pretending you have a disability to fraudulently board a plane.  I just can't wrap my head around that.

Gbonne
Explorer C

The problem is people have no ethics.  SWA is in a tough spot because it allows people to “self identify” their disability.   Unfortunately there are too many Americans who’s biggest disability is they’re holding a C group boarding pass.  

do what I do; shame them.  I flat out ask those who are healthier than me why they’re able to pre-board.  I let them know they have poor ethics.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Gbonne wrote:

The problem is people have no ethics.  SWA is in a tough spot because it allows people to “self identify” their disability.  

To be factually correct, SWA is in a tough spot because Federal Law allows people to “self identify” their disability - and there is nothing SWA can do about it..

Unfortunately there are too many Americans who’s biggest disability is they’re holding a C group boarding pass.  

True

do what I do; shame them.  I flat out ask those who are healthier than me why they’re able to pre-board.  I let them know they have poor ethics.  

Actually that is none of your business. If  passengers don't have to tell SWA the reason they are preboarding, they certainly don't have to tell you. If I were one of those people, I'd tell you to go to h__l.

Eggy2424
Explorer C

Personally, I would be happy if someone stopped and asked me about my disability. I have the great fortune of having a “hidden” one — I have stage 4 cancer. I’ve always bought my tickets like everyone else. On my last SWA flight, one of my flights was delayed and it didn’t look like I would be able to switch it to one that would get me to a potentially life saving surgery on time. I admit that I broke down in the airport, just asking the GA to help. There was such an outpouring of kindness; one man next me demanding the last seat out of town on another plane quietly asked the attendent to give it to me, even if it would make him late. Another couple specifically requested to move to another day so they could give me those seats. And after an outpouring of gratitude from me to all of them, the GA kindly gave me preboarding. I had never preboarded in my life.

Now I’m out of surgery and will probably specifically request preboarding. And I actually would be delighted if someone would confront me and demand why a person who looks like she could have run a marathon 15 lbs ago is boarding before them. Then I can tell them the life-saving operation wasn’t successful, and now I have to heal before chemotherapy which will probably buy me only a year. I’ll likely cry. And I may get that one unkind comment that this doesn’t necessarily count as the type of disability to let me board before A groups. But if I see some humanity in their expressions, just a little empathy for someone who’s getting a tiny moment of respite when nothing else has gone right — or even a shaudenfreude moment of “at least I don’t have her problems” that will let me feel a tiny bit less guilty for “exploiting” the rules—it may be worth it. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Eggy2424 wrote:

Thank you for sharing your story I hope it helps some of the haters among us see the other side of the situation.

Best of luck with your chemo treatment. Miracles do occasionally happen. I hope one happens for you. 

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B

@Gbonne 

YOU are the one lacking ethics.  And YOU are the one who should be shamed if you attempt to shame a fellow passenger.

It is tacky, at best, to ask a stranger why they might be pre-boarding.  Many folks have hidden disabilities.  You really need to mind your own business and reconsider your own moral principles at play here.

RitiJ
Explorer C

hi

Are you saying that folks without disabilities, can legally claim, without challenge or consequence, they do have a disability, and receive the same protections for folks with disabilities protected by the Air Carrier Access Act? Surely this had to be predicted and remedied when the Act was written, no?

I just find it very hard to believe that the penalties for parking in a handicap spot are greater than pretending you have a disability to fraudulently board a plane. I just can't wrap my head around that.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@RitiJ wrote:

hi

Are you saying that folks without disabilities, can legally claim, without challenge or consequence, they do have a disability, and receive the same protections for folks with disabilities protected by the Air Carrier Access Act? Surely this had to be predicted and remedied when the Act was written, no?

NO

The act requires the airlines to accept the word of anyone who claims to be disabled - period.

No proof required. Illegal to ask for the  reason.

No provision to catch cheaters.