Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Preboarding Scammers

jacksycz
Explorer C

Id happily board after the business class passengers. I wouldn't particularly have an issue with it. Southwest does generally allow people with morbid obesity as well to have preboarding because of special seating requirements. Its possible that the airport seating isnt accomodating either...so they are standing the whole time, probably in pain. Did you hear about the guy from ireland that was assigned one cheek to one side of the aisle and the other on the opposite side? Basic Economy blunders.

One possibility is to allow those that got a business class ticket to board first, and then people with disabilities immediately after. However, That elderly grandma that cant stand too long and their traveling companions may have a problem boarding if they cant make it through the jetbridge. People with Congestive Heart Failure, Pulmonary Hypertension for example, recent hip replacement, Intractible High Impact Chronic Pain. 

So while I wouldn't mind waiting, You can't plan for everyone's disability and federal law allows them to board first. 

Plus, if you could afford it, you would be flying Delta First Class.

Goforwand1
Adventurer B

We can debate this back and fourth until the cows come home and nothing will change until SWA actually enforces the one (1) preboard passenger and one (1) attendant. To me this is the biggest issue in terms of scamming. We will allow one travel companion to act as an “attendant” and preboard with a Customer with a disability. Simple....

SWA does not consistently enforce their own policies which is the problem. I have seen (on countless occasions) 3 to 4 people boarding with a preboard passenger that did not have any preboard documentation....this happens all the time.

SWA gate agents can't challenge the validity of the preboarder (nor should the gate agent have to) but they can enforce the rules and not allow any more than one attendant.

For the 2 to 10 preboard passengers with one attendant that will take up the first rows..all good...it's a heck of a lot better than 10 to 50 people taking the first rows which happens without enforcing the one attendant rule..

floridaguy
Aviator C

I love Southwest's preboarding policy.  It is really nice to be able to sit up front where there is more legroom.

Great job Southwest!  I preboard regularily.

Dierberg01
Explorer C

I’m always flying BS. Multiple wheelchairs are on before me then they walk off the plane unassisted. Such bunk!  Is there some sort of handicap sticker on their license or other identification that they must show?

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@Dierberg01 And did you see them walk down the jetway? Most people in wheelchairs can walk short distances. They walk on and off the plane. They get in a wheelchair as soon as they get off the plane. Did you see someone who was in a wheelchair getting on run up the jetway upon arrival?

floridaguy
Aviator C

The "miracle of flight" - all ailments cured after preboarding to get a good seat.  It is a medical miracle.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

The "miracle of flight" - all ailments cured after preboarding to get a good seat.  It is a medical miracle.

@floridaguy is that why you preboard?

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

Last time I checked, you are not my doctor.

However, I have observed that the "miracle of flight" tends to be a short-term medical condition where the illness returns just prior to the next flight.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Last time I checked, you are not my doctor.

However, I have observed that the "miracle of flight" tends to be a short-term medical condition where the illness returns just prior to the next flight.

I bet you practice what you preach.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Harassment and badgering is a violation of board rules.

LEAVE ME ALONE