Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Preboarding Scammers

Dkasp
Adventurer C

They can buy an upgraded ticket just like I do.

floridaguy
Aviator C

If you can't afford an upgraded ticket that's what the preboarding is for.

pitchforkpaddy
Explorer C

The law is written so that you self-identify as disabled. I am disabled and would never have  dreamed of using my multiple disabilities to scam a seat. But as I was scammed out of front row seats last night by two men who laughed and said I needed to learn to "Play the game." They nearly bowled people over getting off the plane like two bats out of hell. Absolutely disgusting. I will continue to pay for upgraded seating but will also self identify as disabled, which I am. I hope everybody begins to self-identify as disabled. That seems to be the only way the scamming will stop.  Only the truly disabled should get the preferential treatment they need and deserve.  To top it off the very rude gate agent let a party of four get on early after showing some kind of ID. They definitely weren't military, which I wouldn't mind. When I complained the agent said she could let anyone on that she felt like. SouthWest is cowardly in enforcing their own rules, afraid of being sued, so they screw over their best customers. My wife and I were in boarding positions A2 and A3. By the time we boarded the plane was half full. There was almost a fistfight over the issue at the baggage carousel. 

Gstevenson
Explorer A

You obviously are not getting it.....this is issue is about PRE- BOARDING abuse, which for your business select and Alist customers is completely obvious. Simple solutions like first on last off for preboarders would cut this Abuse down tremendously. Further, requiring your gate agents to enforce 1 pre-board, one attendant, which is a written policy of Southwest that you don't enforce, seems like a good place to start. What makes me ill is the holier than thou attitude you people have when you don't even enforce your own rules. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Gstevenson wrote:

You obviously are not getting it.....this is issue is about PRE- BOARDING abuse, which for your business select and Alist customers is completely obvious. Simple solutions like first on last off for preboarders would cut this Abuse down tremendously. 

So how would that work? The airline does not keep track of how many pre boarders pre board or the specific seats that they pick.  How would the airline enforce a "last off" rule?

Besides, forcing handicapped people to follow rules that the non handicapped

are not required to follow will run afoul of the law.

Shirlyperfect
Explorer C

If the person really does have a problem that would cause them to vomit if they did not have a window seat (propensity to vomiting in the plane is not a disability) they should buy the upgraded seat.  I much prefer a window seat and I pay up every flight.  Paying all that extra money makes me want to vomit but I don't use it as an excuse to preboard.  Southwest's preboarding policy is (from their own website):

Preboarding is available for Customers who have a specific seating need to accommodate their disability and/or need assistance in boarding the aircraft or stowing an assistive device.

How this policy from their own website has turned into what they allow today is beyond me.  They need to stop allowing seat saving.

I have flown only Southwest since its inception but after my recent travel Southwest will no longer be my preferred airline due to preboarder scammers and the complicity of the Southwest staff that allow the scammers to operate without restrictions.  I 100% support legitimate disabled preboarders, but Southwest is letting this get out of control with nonsense claims people come up with and then allowing preboarders to save two separate full rows for the other people in their group that are in the C group.  On all three flights I took over this past two weeks they either allowed more than 1 person to board with a legitimate preboarders or they allowed each of the two preboarders to save rows of seats at the front of the plane.   How can they in good conscience charge one person $50 one way to upgrade and let someone without a legitimate DISABILITY preboard and save 4 seats.

In addtion to the preboarding fiasco, they have eliminated almost all of their non-stop flights and they do not allow enough time between connections.  They give no consideration to people who have to get off one flight in one terminal (carrying one personal item and a carryon because we don't trust that Southwest will get our checked luggage on their connecting flight) and only have 40 minutes to run clear across BWI to try to make it in line for the upgraded spot they paid for on the next flight.

Nece002
Explorer C

Totally agree that there will be some who will abuse this privilege.  Personally, I didn't like the new boarding rules.  Of course I don't fall in most of the special groups, so I'm biased.  But doesn't some of these groups include people who want to be treated just like everyone else without all the special treatment.  I get it, but I'm straddling the fence on whether it's fair to all travelers who pay the same amount as others in these groups.  Just my opinion, so I welcome feed back that corrects my assertions. 

LS21
Explorer C

The Preboarding to Vegas today were over 20 passengers. Some carrying canes, not using the canes just carrying them like decorations and walking with a very nice gait.   The law needs to be amended where you carry documentation from your doctor.  Same way you get a placard for your car to park in the disabled parking spots.  I’m disabled military, carry a card that says so, I don’t use it to Preboard, because I can manage to stand in a line for 20-30 minutes.  Some people are just morally bankrupt and will do anything to work around the system.  

floridaguy
Aviator C

I'm fine if you want documentation.  A doctor will sign that form upon request.  No biggie.

Brian-quigley
Explorer B

All this so about disability act, you shouldn't  charge or have a business "class" which bring you more revenue while putting burden on business class paying customer.  I am 62 year man with RA yet I don't consider myself disabled in the sense of pre boarding.  It use to be only used by need.  Now it's expected.  I have "associates" who pre board just because they have luggage and C section tickets. This is wide spread to extent in business communities Southwest Airlines are known as "miracle" flights.  People need wheelchair to get on and the sprint off plane when it lands. I know your answers will be based on some "karma" view of human nature.  But SWA creates the boarding process the throws up theirs hand when abuses ALWAYS occurs.  I am surprised that there hasn't been some sort of class action suit against SWA for failing to give services paid for. 

I think you really need to fix this abuse and stop ignoring your customers.    

I know way do I feel people in need in relation to flyingshould be accommodated, but you can't create a process subject to abuse and just ignore outcomes. 

I think all business and regular flyers are sick of pre boarding done by people wanting better seat or place for bags

Also is is LUV to sell at gate a upgrade position just to see other abuse it by pre board policy.  

Don't you all feel Herb would of fixed this.  After all it's SWA creation.