Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Preboarding Scammers

Dumpsterbaby
Explorer C

To deter preboaridng scammers and make business passengers happy, implement this rule: preboarding passengers cannot sit in the first 3 rows and the emergency exit row.

if a PP needs to sit next to the restroom, the 4th row is definitely close enough.

92 REPLIES 92

Re: Preboarding Scammers

Anelese7
Explorer C

And how exactly would that help people with wheel chairs or  people like me who need the first row to prevent claustrophobia  triggering panic attacks ? 

Dkasp
Adventurer C

Buy an upgraded ticket.  Easy.

John1158
Explorer B

Don't fly. Problem solved. 

John1158
Explorer B

Use other modes of travel like they suggest if you don't want to wear a mask. 

airbornnne1
Explorer B

You are the scanner row 1 or 5 you are in the same tin can as the rest of us hurling through the sky

tpegan1
Explorer A

It seems to me that Southwest is trying to give preferential treatment to a lot of groups, disabled, military, families, e.g.  The problem is that it is a net sum game.  You cannot give preferential treatment to one group without it being at the expense of another group.  The business traveller is the least compelling even though I believe it is Southwest's bread and butter.   I'm a frequent business traveller who wouldn't be flying Southwest if it wasn't dictated by my company.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@tpegan1 wrote:

It seems to me that Southwest is trying to give preferential treatment to a lot of groups, disabled, military, families, e.g.  The problem is that it is a net sum game.  You cannot give preferential treatment to one group without it being at the expense of another group.  The business traveller is the least compelling even though I believe it is Southwest's bread and butter.   I'm a frequent business traveller who wouldn't be flying Southwest if it wasn't dictated by my company.  

Sounds like, from some of the many posts you've made recently, that maybe you're confused about some aspects of the boarding system in Southwest. 

In order to be compliant with the Air Carrier Access Act, disabled passengers are allowed to preboard. It's not "preferential treatment," it's not a favor or privilege being granted. It's required by law to ensure the disabled receive the proper seating needed.

Military members (in uniform only, a significant limitation that disappoints many in the services) and Families (a parent with a child age 6 and under) are allowed to board after the A group, before the B one. This could be seen as a special advantage, but it's worth noting that most military members do not qualify, and this "advantage" happens only after at least 60 people have already boarded the plane.

Business Travelers flying on a Business Select fare are given preferential treatment, guaranteeing an A1-15 boarding position. Southwest's frequent flyers ("A-List" and "A-List Preferred") also receive preferential treatment, receiving boarding positions beginning with A-16. Both board ahead of military or families.

Additionally, if a business traveler isn't on a BS fare or an A-List member, they may purchase EarlyBird Check-In or Upgraded Boarding to ensure an early boarding position.

jamespatton22
Explorer A

Unfortunately like everything else there are those that exploit the loopholes and those who follow the rules and pay extra for the business select tickets suffer. Every flight on SWA I take now (and I fly constantly) there are individuals in the preboard group that appear to have no reason for being there. They appear young, fit, able to stand and walk and have no special needs or items like service dogs or mobility devices. They stand in the preboard line for long periods to make sure they get on first while playing on or talking on their phones. The open seating policy and ease of asking for and getting a preboard assignment lets those who did not pay for business select and usually have a group C boarding group assignment to jump to the front. I have been business select A1 or A2 position and by the time I was able to board I had to sit in row 5 or greater after all the preboard people. Most are half my age and more fit than me. I have watched many literally take off running in the airport after we got off the plane.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jamespatton22 wrote:

Unfortunately like everything else there are those that exploit the loopholes and those who follow the rules and pay extra for the business select tickets suffer. Every flight on SWA I take now (and I fly constantly) there are individuals in the preboard group that appear to have no reason for being there. They appear young, fit, able to stand and walk and have no special needs or items like service dogs or mobility devices. They stand in the preboard line for long periods to make sure they get on first while playing on or talking on their phones. The open seating policy and ease of asking for and getting a preboard assignment lets those who did not pay for business select and usually have a group C boarding group assignment to jump to the front. I have been business select A1 or A2 position and by the time I was able to board I had to sit in row 5 or greater after all the preboard people. Most are half my age and more fit than me. I have watched many literally take off running in the airport after we got off the plane.  

As has been said many times here, people that NEED to preboard becasue they have needs for specific seats do not necessarily look disabled.

Here's a real example from a person who posted here a few weeks ago. The person needed a window seat because of a propensity to vomit if unable to acutally see what was happening to the plane. The person appeared normal - no limp, no wheel chair, no apparent diability.The person was askng if she should preboard. People that responded said YES.

Would you want the airline to deny that person a reasonable chance at a window seat, only to have the person sit nevt to you and vomit on you instead?