Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Preboarding Scammers

HauseofMouse
Explorer C

FYI, Preboarders are not allowed to sit in the emergency exit row.  HOWEVER, Preboarders may have a significant need to sit in the bulkhead seats and the ACAA  specifically states that they cannot force the disabled to sit or not sit in particular seats unless it affects the safety (i.e.  they cannot perform the tasks necessary for sitting in the emergency exit row.)  So trying to force the disabled to not sit in the first rows is not going to happen.  

davesacenet
Explorer B

So, if a preboarder has a "significant need" to sit in a bulkhead seat on a traditional airline, do they simply select the first available first, business class or economy comfort seat they see? Of course not, as those seats have already been purchased by another. So just because Southwest has "open seating" why can't they simply identify the first-row seat as "Business Select" reserved for those who have paid the fare?
I have no problems whatsoever with preboarders be they physically or mentally disabled, military, old or young, claustrophopic or apt to vomit in other than a window seat. I do, however have a real issue paying over $800 for business class select, holding A1 and A2 and having to walk past the first several rows filled with folks who could just as easily sit in other seats (as they would have in most any other airline).

SWDigits
Aviator A

@davesacenet wrote:

I do, however have a real issue paying over $800 for business class select, holding A1 and A2 and having to walk past the first several rows filled with folks who could just as easily sit in other seats (as they would have in most any other airline).

I am drawn by discussions of the boarding/seating process and, as another customer, it's really interesting to see the dynamics of Southwest positioning of things versus the ensuing customer reactions.

All I'm doing here is simply listing how Southwest positions two items:

Boarding (click here for the direct source)

"Customers board the plane based on boarding group (A, B, or C) and number (1-60). Boarding positions are assigned when you check in and will be displayed on your boarding pass."

"General boarding starts with Business Select customers, who are guaranteed positions at the front of the A Group, followed by Rapid Rewards tier Members and the remaining Customers in the A Group, children age six and under and a guardian, then groups B and C. Learn more about our boarding process."

"We have an open seating policy, so feel free to sit in any available seat when you get onboard."

Business Select (click here for the direct source)

"Purchasing this fare will enable you to receive priority boarding in the A1-A15 group" (this is the first of many bullet points listed on the page).

Customer | Home airport DCA

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@davesacenet wrote:

So, if a preboarder has a "significant need" to sit in a bulkhead seat on a traditional airline, do they simply select the first available first, business class or economy comfort seat they see? Of course not, as those seats have already been purchased by another. So just because Southwest has "open seating" why can't they simply identify the first-row seat as "Business Select" reserved for those who have paid the fare?
I have no problems whatsoever with preboarders be they physically or mentally disabled, military, old or young, claustrophopic or apt to vomit in other than a window seat. I do, however have a real issue paying over $800 for business class select, holding A1 and A2 and having to walk past the first several rows filled with folks who could just as easily sit in other seats (as they would have in most any other airline).

Although practical, the wording in the terms from the FAA that I'll paraphrase is that if the seats are not assigned, then they can't be "partially" assigned.

Obviously moving to a fully assgined cabin would be one solution, which Southwest has been avoiding. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

davesacenet
Explorer B

Although practical, the wording in the terms from the FAA that I'll paraphrase is that if the seats are not assigned, then they can't be "partially" assigned.

Obviously moving to a fully assgined cabin would be one solution, which Southwest has been avoiding. 

There's the solution! 

Why not allow only the very few "Business Select" customers who have essentuially (in many circumstances) paid double (or more) the fare for a free drink coupon and an earlier boarding postion to pre-select their seat at the time of purchase.  I realize it would be one more thing for the cabin crew to deal with, but they could easily place a "reserved for_____" sign on those very few seats prior to boarding.  

Problem solved!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@davesacenet wrote:

There's the solution! 

Why not allow only the very few "Business Select" customers who have essentuially (in many circumstances) paid double (or more) the fare for a free drink coupon and an earlier boarding postion to pre-select their seat at the time of purchase.  I realize it would be one more thing for the cabin crew to deal with, but they could easily place a "reserved for_____" sign on those very few seats prior to boarding.  

Problem solved!

The exisiting reservation system does not allow that to happen. There is no way to currently have a passenger "select" a seat. Then having FAs put "reserved for ___" signs on seats for Southwests 4000+ daily departures turns into a major task.

It would slow down the process of getting people on planes as quickly as possible, which in turn allows the airline to operate more efficiently (more flights/plane/day) than the competition, which in turn helps keep fares low. 

The vast number of travellers are absolutely OK with Southwest's way of operating.

Your "solution" fixes one perceived problem, but creates other problems.

Nickel
Explorer C

On an airline with assigned seating those with disabilities that require specific seating contact the airline in advance and have a seat assigned to them that best meets their need, so that people who have no clue about disabilities and peoples rights and needs  don't write insensitive comments on a  forum. Those airlines will either set aside seats that no one else can be assigned to until 24 hours before the flight, or will reassign people as the requests are made, or both.

Why can't they do as you want? well it is a violation of the law for starters.... Granted their blanket no preboards in exit row seats may be as well. According the the US Department of transportation:

An airline must not exclude any qualified individual with a disability from any seat in an exit row or other location, if the individual can perform the necessary functions of sitting in the seat in accordance with FAA regulations.

Airline personnel are responsible for making an individual determination as to whether any individual is able to perform the functions required of a passenger occupying an exit seat in the event of an emergency.

Not all disability-related limitations prevent people from performing the required exit row functions.

Dkasp
Adventurer C

They should have buy the upgrade then.

HauseofMouse
Explorer C

FYI, Preboarders are not allowed to sit in the emergency exit row.  HOWEVER, Preboarders may have a significant need to sit in the bulkhead seats and the ACAA  specifically states that they cannot force the disabled to sit or not sit in particular seats unless it affects the safety (i.e.  they cannot perform the tasks necessary for sitting in the emergency exit row.)  So trying to force the disabled to not sit in the first rows is not going to happen.  

Rallytime14
Explorer A

I’ve been on countless Southwest flights and I’ve never seen any “scammers” as you so mention. The simple truth is you don’t know what’s going on with every person just by a glance. They could have legitimate reasons to need to be on aircraft early. 

If you are so concerned with getting a good seat, then make sure to check in exactly 24 hours before your flight. Still not satisfied? Buy early bird check-in so you get a good boarding spot. Or convince your company to purchase business select fares.