Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Preboarding Scammers

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Sounds like you'll be happier on another carrier. Good luck.

jamespatton22
Explorer A

I agree I will probably be happier on another carrier. Just boarded my last SWA flight to KC again with another very young couple with no impairments bee-board while almost skipping down the aisle. They didn’t sit next to an open window in row 2 so their is no “medical condition requiring they sit by a window” someone suggested earlier. Just not people abusing the system. Already booked my flight back on United and will no longer fly SWA after 5 years of A-plus level and companion status. Hate starting over building status with a new airline but I fly 3 or more times a week so shouldn’t take too long. 

Tesajay
Explorer C

Just watched about 40, yes, 40, "pre-boarders" only TWO in a wheelchair.

RIDICULOUS

Gbonne
Explorer C

SWA should go to assigned seats for preboarders only.  These seats can be in the back of the aircraft near the restroom. 

the only exceptions would be those with a medical card and a need for the bulkhead. 

also, preboarders should be required to BE THE LAST OFF THE PLANE.  

It's amazing how quickly they heal upon landing.  

most have zero integrity and the only thing that ails them is their c boarding group 

puckstopper55
Explorer B

problem solved. If you preboard, you will be the last ones off the plane! Great solution!!!

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

No. The solution is, if you want to avoid this nonsense, if it bothers you that is, fly an airline that allows you to reserve your seat when you purchase your ticket.

Some airlines, if not all by now, charge for this luxury. SWA instead charges for EB or Business Select and then you still take your chances.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Any seat assignments on SW = longer to turn the plane around.  Frankly, unless those assigned seats = revenue enough to make up for the time delay in getting the plane turned around, I don't see a change coming anytime soon.  But that is just my opinion.

I have learned that my stress during boarding depends directly on whether or not I try to pass judgement and get bend out of shape about pre-boarders.  As I have said before here, I have multiple friends and family members with invisible needs; therefore, I just assume positive intent in folks, I board in my spot, and I enjoy my flight.  

I generally don't like the out bit about "all the seats are going to the same place" since I like to sit in the exit row, but honestly, it is true.  And pre-boards can't sit in the exit row anyway; in my experience, this is always strictly enforced.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Gstevenson
Explorer A

Good for you. But playing by the rules is important and a sense of fairness is what makes society work. If you choose to condone people abusing a system, then that is your choice. I recently had my own pre-board experience having been injured and legitimately received pre-board status for about 10 weeks (6 flights). I personally have witnessed pre-boarders skipping down the jet way to the plane to board. I'm a list preferred, with companion pass.  I won't even attempt to advise Southwest how to fix this problem...reading many of the replies here, it's apparent that Southwest doesn't view this abuse as a problem......just know, I, like other disgruntled, yet marginalized fliers, may only be a small percentage of your flying passengers, but we do spend a lot of our company's money flying on Southwest. I am fortunate to be in the DFW area and have airline choices. Choices I will exercise if some measure of control isn't addressed to this issue. 

bouncethebox
Explorer C

I literally just complained about this to them on twitter and received a canned response.  My return flight is now with Delta, paying extra for Southwest Business Select is a joke.  It should be known as 'Anything still available that pre-boarding scammers and their attendants didn't grab first' class.  Unfortunately Southwest probably won't enforce their own policies or do anything to address fraud and abuse because they enjoy good business right now. I have to wonder if we are as powerless as we think.  The same Air Carrier Access Act they are bound by should have some kind of process in place to report an airline that allows such rampant abuse by choosing to do nothing.  Specifically if the airline has compliance obligations such as ensuring that the preboarding process is free from abuse to ensure access to those protected by the act.  

My tweet to Southwest and their response: https://twitter.com/bouncethebox/status/1234631796308021253?s=19

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bouncethebox wrote:

Specifically if the airline has compliance obligations such as ensuring that the preboarding process is free from abuse to ensure access to those protected by the act.  

You don't seem to understand that EVERY PERSON who claims a need to pre board is protected by the act. NO AIRLINE can inquire  about the nature of the need. NO AIRLINE

can ask for proof of need.

If you don't like what the law requires airlines to do, contact your senators and congressperson and tell them that you want the law changed.

Good luck with that.