Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Preboarding standards?

Along99999
Explorer C
I just boarded 5493 at MDW. I am a preboard passenger due to muscular dystrophy. My wife provides me balance assistance on ramps and walkways. I am also traveling with my 6-year old and my two teenage boys today. I have never had a problem boarding with my entire family as if my wife were the only allowed person allowed to board with me, it would leave three unaccompanied minors back at the gate. Tonight however, I was sent down the jetway with only my six year old to help. My wife and two teenage sons were told I was only allowed one person to board and since she had already scanned his ticket, he had to be that one. Furthermore, the very next preboard passenger was allowed to board with his wife and teenage son. Where is the consistency, SWA? What did I do to be discriminated against? I think you need to develop some sort of policy and train your incredibly rude gate staff at MDW.
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Preboarding standards?

BrianKronberg
Explorer A

Your pre-boarding was not refused.  What you were refused is to board your whole family in front of people who have either paid or earned status to board first.

Yesterday I was A5 and was the 21st person to board the plane due to the abuse of the pre-boarding process.  Instead of pre-boarding being for those who really need assistance it has turned into what I call AARP boarding.  Any elderly, overweight, or unscroupulous person can ask and not be denied to pre-board.  Southwest is only doing what they can by limiting pre-boarders to have just one assistant.

I am sorry others are ruining your flights due to their abuse of preboarding.  Please make some noise with Southwest to reduce the abuse of pre-boarding so you can be better served and help all of us A-listers who are also getting frustrated.

cater4fun
Explorer C

I am both an A-list preferred and a Pre-Boarder.  I pay for A boarding position and have earned my A-list preferred status for several years.  However, for the courtesey to the rest of the regulars on Monday morning flights out of ONT.  I pre-board, as most days I require a wheel chair to get down the ramp.  On my good days I walk with my cane, however it does take me a bit of time to get down there.  I tried to not pre-board when I was A-1 and ask the gate agent to give me a headstart to walk down, but it was against the rules so everyone had to wait while I made my way slowly to the plane.

So, there are those that may cheat the system.  But then there are a few of us that have the position in A 1-15 who may have pre-boarded.   I'm happy to have you join me on a flight and we can chat about the great tips I have for traveling when you have limited mobility. I'll save a seat for you in the front row.

ILuvFlying
Explorer C

You mirror my thoughts and frustration over some people who take advantage(scam) of the pre-board services.  I fly every week and its become an issue on the Vegas flights but I have noticed SWA boarding agents are beginning to enforce their policy of 1 person assisting.

Bond
Explorer C

I fly several times a month . I have watched the last year as Las Vegas and MIdway have become prebiard nightmares . When 3 people need some previsedjnf support but 15 are using it, southwest needs to really take a look at what has happened. Those in real need should speak up when those who are not abuse the process - and those who watch this every week should too.  It’s really become unbelievable for those of us forced to wait for our C partner to hopefully Join us in our A selected row, but could instead just have our c partner get in the preboard line and take a seat before all those using your numbering system as required .  If people are outrageous enough to abuse a system for those in need, they should called out by the rest of us, by those needing the support, and frankly by southwest since it is your nonworking policy. Why don’t you have preboards board in the back of the plane ? Abouse would instantly stop 

Bond
Explorer C

Thank you Brian - my husbad and I now talk about this every flight . 

Brian-quigley
Explorer B

I used to get upset about pre board cheaters.  I am 61 and have Rheumatoid Arthritis, I am not missing leg or unable to walk down plank.  If I want to get a better position I pay for.  

I used to get upset and cheaters and unconcerned or indifferent gate agents.  Not anymore.  What I do now instead of getting mad is to give out the Atta Boy recognizance cards that SWA gives along with drink coupons to a-list  customers.  When I see gate agent doing their job and managing the boarding process correctly, I reward them with coupon.  Which incidentally enters tg worker in a prize contest

Focus on what’s doing well and maybe slackers will get the word and manage boarding process