Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Previous leg passengers taking exit seats before Business Select can board

NoPointAtAll
Explorer B

@DancingDavidE wrote:

Or look for flight numbers that originate at your destination. Oviously your plans may not be that flexible in all cases, but it is one of the factors that I consider but have quite a few options being home base at MDW.

1) For multiple flights that work for me, choose one on a 737-800.

2) Prefer flight numbers originating with my ticket.

3) if it gets that far for a tie-breaker, on-time statistics.

Why the 737-800? Is that the one that has more exit row seats with extra leg room, or is there something else? It's strange how only 4 seats have extra leg room on the 700s.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I like the interiors and the overhead bins are more capable - I don't usually have any, but I think it helps speed up everyone else.

There is a larger exit row section, so the two-seat rows are on both sides and each then has a corresponding seat with no seat in front of it.

Two bathrooms in back and the baby changing table is easier.

Usually I'm traveling with wife and young daugher so we aren't taking exit rows ourselves, but if there are more of them to go around it helps other A-list passengers go for that while I take something else. Of course there are additional seats too so the extra bathroom and exit row seats are probably in proportion but since my A-list position is the same or family boarding at "A61" stays the same we end up getting better selection in general.

I'm not sure if I think the wifi works better or not, too many variables to evaluate it.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

nspecial
Explorer C

@chgoflyer chgoflyer - I sincerely hope you don't work for Southwest. One of the principal reasons I fly SWA is so I don't have to deal with attitudes like yours when there's a legitimate issue.

OP has a genuine point, and pays extra for the privilege that Southeast sells that specific upgrade for.

Your replies in this thread are argumentative, unhelpful, and lack grace and class.

"Rising star", indeed.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I do not work for Southwest. 😉

(Those here who do work for Southwest are clearly identified -- it will say "Southwest " after their screen name.)

I'm sorry that my comments upset you. But I stand by them.

Southwest has an open seating system. Despite incorrect beliefs otherwise, Southwest does not sell any specific seat "privilege" or "upgrade." Because they do not have assigned seats. 

Southwest is clear about this. They sell upgraded boarding positions, which allow earlier access to any available seat. If the seat you want is already taken, then it's not available.

Through passengers are allowed to move to any available seat. As mentioned earlier, those passengers may have also paid for earlier boarding on their previous flight. Even if they didn't, they are entitled to any seat they'd like, as Southwest utilizes open seating.

Southwest does things a bit differently than most other carriers. Getting upset about their system and expecting it to change to fit your needs is just silly.

This isn't meant to be argumentative, this is meant to helpful: If it's important to you to have a specific seat when you fly, your best bet is to fly a carrier who assigns seats.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

If it's important to you to have a specific seat when you fly, your best bet is to fly a carrier who assigns seats.

This was our situation for several years.  Happy to be back.

Customer | Home airport DCA

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

Buf cliff notes version @NoPointAtAll, yes there is a way to do this. You'll need to Google or search Southwest's website for the flight number which will show the chain of airports that the flight is visiting.

If your origination is the first airport listed then there should not be any through passengers...i.e. the flight numbers starts when you are boarding.

For flight numbers that originated somehwere else with a stop in your airport there is a chance for through passengers, although the number of these obviously varies quite a bit...flight coming from somewhere else to MDW to LAS or MCO you can count on quite a few. Flight from Boston to Chicago back to Baltimore...probably not many.

NoPointAtAll
Explorer B

Good ideas - thanks!

SorryIGuess
Explorer C

Hey there! I was actually in the seat next to you as you typed this, which made me feel super awkward since it was about me and the other passenger.

Guess I just wanted to say sorry? You must have been having a bad day if this was something you felt the need to post about. I didn't have BS, because that would've cost the same as the United flight that left at a similar time. I typically fly United for the very reason you're complaining about, so I'll be sure to keep doing that haha.

I'm sure none of this will matter to you, since you were listening to the audiobook of "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" while on the plane.

Have a great day!

NoPointAtAll
Explorer B

@SorryIGuess wrote:

Hey there! I was actually in the seat next to you as you typed this, which made me feel super awkward since it was about me and the other passenger.

Guess I just wanted to say sorry? You must have been having a bad day if this was something you felt the need to post about. I didn't have BS, because that would've cost the same as the United flight that left at a similar time. I typically fly United for the very reason you're complaining about, so I'll be sure to keep doing that haha.

I'm sure none of this will matter to you, since you were listening to the audiobook of "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" while on the plane.

Have a great day!

Welcome! I actually don't blame you - I would do the same since Southwest allows it. What's frustrating to me is that Southwest allows it (it's not official or unofficial policy so they could change it but they don't). You probably then heard me talking to the FA when coming on board and expressing frustration - and her saying yeah, we are looking at ways to stop that. However, a single flight crew isn't going to be able to do anything about it.

And give the book a read - it's pretty good although not well titled. It's more about taking on personal responsibility.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I had to look that up, that's funny it is a real book.

About the seat moving between legs though, that's just the rules. 

Do you have to pay for wifi to get on SouthwestAirCommunity or does that website pass through for free along with Southwest.com? I guess I can check tonight.