Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Previous leg passengers taking exit seats before Business Select can board

NoPointAtAll
Explorer B

@DancingDavidE wrote:

I had to look that up, that's funny it is a real book.

About the seat moving between legs though, that's just the rules. 

Do you have to pay for wifi to get on SouthwestAirCommunity or does that website pass through for free along with Southwest.com? I guess I can check tonight.

The seat moving between legs actually isn't in "the rules" or policy. It's unwritten, so is not enforced either way. It's the same with the other annoying practice of seat saving - it's not written to be allowed or disallowed so FAs won't do anything about it.

When I've paid a lot more money to get a better chance at a priority seat, you can bet I'll speak up to a passenger who tells me a seat is saved. That's a whole other topic though...

Here's how business select is marketed:

Guaranteed A1-15 boarding
Be one of the first to board with priority boarding. Pick the seat you want and have room for your carryon bags.

Now of course I know that this isn't saying you are guaranteed any particular seat. However, I do think it's misleading or should be disclosed (maybe an asterisk on this claim) that clearly says Business Select is after pre-boarders and any passengers that were on the previous leg.

"one of the first to board" is subjective, but when you are behind 10 through passengers and another 10 pre-boarders, I'd argue you're not one of the first. On a 143-seat 700, being #30 out of #143 to board is arguably not "one of the first to board".

Either way, the info in this thread is interesting and personally I've already made my decision to take my frequent flyer to United unfortunately. Having consistently preferred seating is very important to my travel preferences.