Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Protocal and professional conduct/mannerism

virginiarey5
Explorer C

My husband and I just recently returned from a Southwest flight (#3708 LAX to Dallas) and found the mannerism of the TSA agent to be very hostile and unprofessional. He was guarding, picking and choosing which people he would allow to walk through the metal detector, therby not having to go through the scanners. As we approached the area, we had no idea that the TSA agent is allowed to discriminate in this fashion. My husband asked him if we could use the metal detector door only and with a very haughty and rude mannerism, he said no! So my husband asked him why, whiuch only angered this agent and with a loud enough tone (peoiple could hear him around us), he responded  "BECAUSE I SAID SO!". Since we wanted to go home, my husband didn't tell him anything and walked through to scanner. I went to the agent and asked if there was an option and so I waited for over a half hour before a very sweet TSA female agent came to do a pat down. I'm very sensitive to the scanners, so I prefer walking through just the metal detector. I would appreciate someone showinhg me the actual rules/regulations which allow an agent to be the one to decide which method may be used?

I realize that some of these agents appear to be tired with the multitude of people going through the security checkpoints all day long, but it should never be the excuse for not doing your job. If you cannot handle it, sometimes it's best to look elswhere. Being a TSA agent should should legally carry with it, some similitude of honor, self-control and a strict adherence to rules and regulations reflecting their position as trustees when interacting and serving the public. Haughtiness or personnel private rules that one can make up on their own, should have absolutely NO place at Southwest security check point. It deters people away from wanting to fly again, it creates an environment of mistrust, harrassment and discrimination. It's disgusting and should be frowned upon by Southwest, which happens to have some of the MOST nicest flight attendants we have ever had the pleasure of interacting with! Southwest has MANY benefits which we highly respect and they are quite generous with carryons and snacks! We truly hope that there is improvement in the behaviour of your TSA agents and that a strict adherence to protocal is improved for US nationals.

Thanks for your time,

Virginia and Gerardo Reyes

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Protocal and professional conduct/mannerism

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution
It looks like this is a link to provide feedback to TSA, Southwest doesn't have any control over the TSA screening process or the TSA agents:

https://www.tsa.gov/contact-center/form/complaints

Customer | Home airport DCA

jksobonya
Aviator A
Solution

This has nothing to do with Southwest at all ... not sure why you are posting this here. 

--Jessica

virginiarey5
Explorer C

I apologize for posting in the wrong place, this is my first time. I appreciate the link provided, but will not be using it this time, as the information asked is all about the Airline we took and then what happened.

Thanks again and I apologize for any inconvenience

dfwskier
Aviator A

@virginiarey5 wrote:

I apologize for posting in the wrong place, this is my first time. I appreciate the link provided, but will not be using it this time, as the information asked is all about the Airline we took and then what happened.

Thanks again and I apologize for any inconvenience

No apology necessary. We're just customers trying to help other customers.

I'd encourage you to take another look at the TSA link from an earlier post. It gives the opportunity of picking the type of complaint you want to file. If you pick professionalism /  customer service from the choices listed, you'll be on a screen that will allow you to file the type of complaint you want to file.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

If you want to use the WTMD instead of the nude-o-scope you should get TSA pre check.

Its not discrimination.

Problem solved.

Kpetrover
Explorer C

I've had a similar experience recently. I was helping my friend who has extreme anxiety with flying get onto a flight. He was doing very well and felt mentally prepared to get on the flight when the southwest employee who was announcing the boarding operations acted very rudely and unprofessionally with us. It caused my friend to have a panic attack and he could not make the flight. Everyone else at southwest except for this man Frederick Ramirez was very professional. I am very upset with his behavior. The flight was 1/6/2020 at 4:35 PM from FLL to BWI. I would like this to be solved.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@Kpetrover wrote:

I've had a similar experience recently. I was helping my friend who has extreme anxiety with flying get onto a flight. He was doing very well and felt mentally prepared to get on the flight when the southwest employee who was announcing the boarding operations acted very rudely and unprofessionally with us. It caused my friend to have a panic attack and he could not make the flight. Everyone else at southwest except for this man Frederick Ramirez was very professional. I am very upset with his behavior. The flight was 1/6/2020 at 4:35 PM from FLL to BWI. I would like this to be solved.

Since this is a customer to customer forum, it will not be solved here.

You can file a complaint directly  with the airline though

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-...

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @virginiarey5. We're sorry to hear about your less-than-pleasant experience with Transportation Security Administration (TSA) personnel. It's important to clarify that the TSA is an agency of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and Southwest Airlines is a separate entity. If you'd like to file a complaint with the TSA, you'll need to reach out at https://www.tsa.gov/contact/customer-service. Thanks!

Nicole
Community Manager