Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Question about Boarding position not a complaint

Bardya
Explorer C

I have two friends flying on the same plane as me. We all bought Business Select tickets and all three of us are A List Preferred.  All getting on the same plane. 

While we are all A list Preferred I travel more then they do. 

I checked in exactly 24 hours before the flight and got an A6 position. After I checked in, I reminded my companions to check in and they get an A1 and A2 position. 

I am not complaining about an A6 position, but curious why they got higher positions them I did?  If all things are equal, does it depend how long you have been an A-List Preferred? 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Question about Boarding position not a complaint

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

@Bardya wrote:

I have two friends flying on the same plane as me. We all bought Business Select tickets and all three of us are A List Preferred.  All getting on the same plane. 

I checked in exactly 24 hours before the flight and got an A6 position. After I checked in, I reminded my companions to check in and they get an A1 and A2 position. 

I am not complaining about an A6 position, but curious why they got higher positions them I did?  If all things are equal, does it depend how long you have been an A-List Preferred? 

Hello!

Assuming that your booking was properly linked with your Rapid Rewards account, when did you all book your flights and did you make any changes to your reservation after initial booking?

By the looks of this, my assumption is order of bookings: That your friends had booked and maintained the first and second Business Select slots (A1-A2), then 3 others booked and kept (A3-A5), followed by your final booking (A6). You were all then automatically checked in and assigned your A1-A15 boarding slots at the 36-hour mark in order of booking (not in order who got boarding passes online first at the 24-hour mark).

Regarding A-List Preferred Priority Boarding, I understand that all non-Business Select A-List Preferred members have first dibs at Priority Boarding after the A1-A15 Business Select group at the 36-hour automatic check-in mark beginning at position A16 in order of booking, followed by the A-List Priority Boarding group, and then the Early Bird bookings sorted by fare class starting at Anytime at the 36-hour mark (each sub-sorted by order of booking). After that, all non-Early Bird WGA+ and WGA by order of manual check-in starting at 24-hour mark.

I don't know for sure if the A-List/A-List Preferred boarding priority perk also covers Business Select A1-A15 by giving the elite groups the first of the first, or if the Business Select slots are strictly first-come/first-served regardless of tier status. I think a Southwest agent may be able to confirm this as I could not find this info published. Hope this helps!

dfwskier
Aviator A

When you are Business Select or A-Lis t your personal check in time does not matter.

Southwest   preselects your boarding position for you and locks it in 36 hours before departure time.  It  is revealed when you check in. You will get the same position if you check in an hour before your flight as you would if you check in 24 hours before your flight.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@Bardya wrote:

Hello!

Assuming that your booking was properly linked with your Rapid Rewards account, when did you all book your flights and did you make any changes to your reservation after initial booking?

By the looks of this, my assumption is order of bookings: That your friends had booked and maintained the first and second Business Select slots (A1-A2), then 3 others booked and kept (A3-A5), followed by your final booking (A6). You were all then automatically checked in and assigned your A1-A15 boarding slots at the 36-hour mark in order of booking (not in order who got boarding passes online first at the 24-hour mark).

Regarding A-List Preferred Priority Boarding, I understand that all non-Business Select A-List Preferred members have first dibs at Priority Boarding after the A1-A15 Business Select group at the 36-hour automatic check-in mark beginning at position A16 in order of booking, followed by the A-List Priority Boarding group, and then the Early Bird bookings sorted by fare class starting at Anytime at the 36-hour mark (each sub-sorted by order of booking). After that, all non-Early Bird WGA+ and WGA by order of manual check-in starting at 24-hour mark.

I don't know for sure if the A-List/A-List Preferred boarding priority perk also covers Business Select A1-A15 by giving the elite groups the first of the first, or if the Business Select slots are strictly first-come/first-served regardless of tier status. I think a Southwest agent may be able to confirm this as I could not find this info published. Hope this helps!

Very good summary! 

• I've seen it before that BS are in order of purchase, but agree it may be under documented.
  • I'm not sure that ALP is always better than A-list necessarily, we don't know the formula but that seems to be part of it for sure but not sure if timing or fare price paid affects it as well to some degree.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Bardya
Explorer C

Thanks everyone. I think they probably booked their tickets before I did.  That is very helpful,  at least now I have a working theory to experiment with next time I travel with an equally statused colleague. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Bardya wrote:

Business Select tickets are assigned strictly in order of purchase and not affected by ALP or A-list status.

Did you buy your ticket slightly after they did? (Enough that a couple of people slipped in there) Or else maybe made a change to the reservation that reset your order?

Haipham2017
Adventurer B

When you check in, the A1 and A2 not available, when you friend check in someone had A1 and A2 cancelled. It happened to with Early Bird check in, I bought it but my wife did not. I got B1 and my wife AXX, I asked the agent at the gate, the answer it could happen when my wife checked in the AXX position open or someone cancelled.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Haipham2017 wrote:

When you check in, the A1 and A2 not available, when you friend check in someone had A1 and A2 cancelled. It happened to with Early Bird check in, I bought it but my wife did not. I got B1 and my wife AXX, I asked the agent at the gate, the answer it could happen when my wife checked in the AXX position open or someone cancelled.

True.

When someone cancels a reservation after a boarding position has been assigned, then that boarding position becomes available to the next person that checks in.

So it is entirely possible for a  person to check in an hour before flight time to get A16 if the person holding A16 cancelled the reservation shortly before the other person checked in.

You may get lucky, but don;t count on it.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Haipham2017 wrote:

Yes, except only A16 and higher as noted by @dfwskier the A1 to A15 are reserved separately by purchasing business select tickets or upgraded boarding.