Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Question about a connecting flight Domestic to International

ELWinMd
Explorer C

Hello,

I am booking a flight from BWI to Puerto Vallarta on Southwest. I see a where in Phoenix I would have transfer to the connecting flight to Puerto Vallarta.  There is only a little over an hour between flights, is this enough time.  Is making this connecting flight easy to do, do we have to do anything special with our baggage or check-in for the international part of our trip? In Phoenix is the gate for the international Southwest flight far from the Southwest domestic flight from BWI? Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Question about a connecting flight Domestic to International

dfwskier
Aviator A

Good morning and Merry Christmas.

1) Southwest would not sell you the ticket if it was not confident that, barring complications, you would make the connection. Now if the BWI flight is late, you might not board at your assigned boarding position, so you might want to sit as close to the front of the BWI flight aa possible so you can get off that plane fast.

Airlines Southwest) use gates interchangeably, so there is no way to predict which gates your two flights will end up at in Phoenix.. You will need to show a valid passport to get on the plane.

2) At BWI you will check your bags thru to PV. You need to nothing with them in Phoenix

ELWinMd
Explorer C

Merry Christmas to you and thank you for the reply.

I was not sure how many terminals the Phoenix airport has,. If there is a separate international terminal for departures.  I am hoping our flight from BWI is on time and the arrival gate is not too far from our next departure gate for Puerto Vallarta. 

Have a happy holiday! 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

All Southwest flights depart from the same terminal. You won't have to go far, perhaps a short walk to the next concourse. 

--TheMiddleSeat