Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Question about boarding group C

john098
Explorer C

I forgot to check in at the 24 hour mark. I also do not travel often so keep that in mind! I have a four hour and three hour long flight tomorrow. I'm in C14 and B54. Is it worth the $100 bucks to upgrade to A or will I be able to get a 'good enough' seat for those flights? I am flying solo. Thanks for your input!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Question about boarding group C

dfwskier
Aviator A

You have a four hour flight connecting to a 3 hour flight -- my condolences.

The answer to your question revolves around what type of plane you'll be on and whether there will be any continuing passengers on them

. Southwest flies planes with 143 seats (737-700) and 175 seats (737-800 and 737 Max). The smaller plane has about 96 aisle and window seats while the larger one has about 116.

So with your c-14 position  you'll have over 120 people (plus pre boarders plus continuing flyers) ahead of you. Translated - you'll likely get a center seat

With your B54 position you'll have roughly 105 people(

plus pre boarders plus continuing flyers) ahead of you. So the chances are you'll have a center seat on the smaller plane, but have a shot at a window or aisle seat on the larger plane.

Now bear in mind that not everyone who boards in front of you will pick an aisle or window seat, so your odds may not be quite as bad as portrayed above. 

Also, starting 24 hours before flight time, you can upgrade to an a1-a15 boarding position - depending on availability. Cost varies. So if you are concerned, this might be an option for you.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

You have a four hour flight connecting to a 3 hour flight -- my condolences.

So with your c-14 position  you'll have over 120 people (plus pre boarders plus continuing flyers) ahead of you. Translated - you'll likely get a center seat

C stands for "Center Seat" 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Single traveler? I would guess that you will be able to find an aisle seat, but it's far from a sure thing. If you really want to relax and not stress out about possibly being stuck in a middle seat I'd suggest purchasing the upgraded boarding after you check-in. It will probably cost about $100 to upgrade both flights. If you're a gambler go ahead and take your chances, good luck. 

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

I would not pay a dime to upgrade my boarding position.  You have no way to predict how many seats will be filled by the time you do get on board.

Due to Southwest architecture of seating policy, the preboard people get on first and have the first choice of the "open seating", except the exit row.  After a tidal wave of preboard people (given the duration of the flight I suspect you will have a bunch), then A starts, etc.

Keep your money - find a seat.

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

Maybe can window if a hubless flight

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@john098 hope flights go well today. Let us know how the boarding goes.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@john098 wrote:

I forgot to check in at the 24 hour mark. I also do not travel often so keep that in mind! I have a four hour and three hour long flight tomorrow. I'm in C14 and B54. Is it worth the $100 bucks to upgrade to A or will I be able to get a 'good enough' seat for those flights? I am flying solo. Thanks for your input!

You are probably already flying today with those two long flights but if not, if you opt for taking what comes and you are looking at middle seats or trying to sniff out that last aisle seat you may want to look for a comfy middle seat and just take it or maybe you'll be lucky and see two people that are probably traveling together but sitting in aisle/window seats hoping for an empty middle.

*The last time this came up for me some guys were trying to punk their boss who was sitting further back and tipped me off that him and his wife were traveling together sitting aisle window but when I rolled up and asked for the middle they didn't want to sit together and I got the middle. 😂

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.