Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Question about changing dates when SW changes flights

katheek77
Explorer B

So, I had flights booked rt, July 4-13, from my city to Honolulu, with my daughter as my companion.

Just got emails saying the flights have been changed.  Oddly, only said the return flight was changed (nothing about the outgoing), but, when I go into my reservation, it now has us flying on July 5 (and I checked my original confirmation to make sure I had booked the 4th), and coming home later on the 13th.  It says I can change the dates at no cost, but, there are now no flights on the calendar except for on Saturdays, and they are hundreds more than what I originally paid.  Would I have to pay the fare difference? It also says I can't change my flight online.

Second Question:  From experienced SW travelers, what are the chances they will change the flight AGAIN?  I'm having flashbacks to when my flight on WOW airlines got delayed five hours, then ultimately cancelled, then there were no hotel vouchers, and we were told no flights out for eleven days, and, I was in a foreign city with a twelve year old, trying to sort this out, and, then there was a "secret" flight we were put on, but, then we weren't, then we were, then that was delayed, etc. etc. etc.,  Needless to say, I am VERY wary now that they have had the flight changed by a full day (I understand an hour or two, but, a full day, and NO other flights in the days around it?).  I don't want to end up on a trip to Hawaii for four days, but, I also can't afford to pay an extra $1000 to make it a nine(ish) day trip.  I haven't booked a hotel yet, but, now I'm also wary of doing that, as well....At least I speak the language here...

This is our first trip post-Covid, so, I'm not sure how anything is working anymore.

TIA

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Question about changing dates when SW changes flights

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

When Southwest changes your flights you can make 1 free change so you would not pay any fare difference for the first change you make.  Most likely this is the one and only flight change that will occur on that particular flight.  Unexpected things like maintenance issues or crew availability can cause other problems, that's always a risk with flying, but those are rare and not one you can do much about.  While you may only see one flight, there could be other routings so call and discuss your options.

--TheMiddleSeat

katheek77
Explorer B

Well.

They now have my connecting flight leaving before my original flight, so, that's obviously not going to work.  

I cannot make this up.  My connecting flight from las vegas leaves at 11:05 am.  My original flight from my home city does not leave until 1:05pm.  Yes, I have double checked the dates.

This is great. 

Waiting for a call-back since I can't change anything online.

bec102896
Aviator A

You can try reaching out on social media and they can help as well. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

@katheek77 wrote:

They now have my connecting flight leaving before my original flight, so, that's obviously not going to work.  

I cannot make this up.  My connecting flight from las vegas leaves at 11:05 am.  My original flight from my home city does not leave until 1:05pm.  Yes, I have double checked the dates.

This happened to me too! I was able to move my first flight to an earlier time, albeit with *another* stop, to make the connection. Should be fun lol

--Jessica

StAugustine
Frequent Flyer C

I had booked 6 seats from PVD to MCO in late June. The outbound flight was changed from 12:10 PM to 5:00 AM. Not a good time with 2 young kids. None of the other PVD-MCO flights were acceptable so I looked at other airports in the area and I found inbound and outbound flights from BDL instead. Called customer service and made the change. They were very accommodating AND I got 6,000 RR points back in the process.

GettingFedUp
Explorer C

The real question is, why does SW keep doing this? If I book a flight, barring maintenance issues, that flight should not be changed, period. Honor the agreement you made when I bought the ticket. This is all a money grab to ensure all flights are full. Just list multiple flights, get people to buy them, then consolidate them down into one full flight. It's the perfect scam. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@GettingFedUp If only business was that simple. You really think changing flights and irritating people is a money grab? Last time I checked making customers mad isn't a smart way to run a business, so no, this isn't a money grab. Southwest isn't making changes because they want to. 

--TheMiddleSeat

GettingFedUp
Explorer C

Yes, I do. I think the pandemic hit all companies bottom line hard, especially the airlines. SW has an obligation to their shareholders to maximize the recovery as quickly as possible, i.e. increase earnings. SW also knows their customer base is extremely loyal and will probably not lose many of them by implementing these flight changes/cancelations. 

If it's not a money grab, what is it? I recently had flights booked at the end of June that have already been canceled and changed (both inbound (canceled) and outbound (changed), so I know that's not a maintenance issue. And if it's a flight crew issue, then SW needs to implement a better scheduling system if they know 70+ days in advance they won't have a flight crew. 

katheek77
Explorer B

I got it sorted out.  My original flight was on the 4th.  Then it was changed to the same time on the 5th.  Then it was changed to the impossible flight (connecting flight leaving before original flight lol).  Even the SW woman I spoke to said, "I aint' never seen anything like this before.  You can't see what I see, but they have you flying all over the world." ROFL

The only flights available were the Saturday before or after (so, the 2nd or 9th).  I took the 2nd, which involves another stop and adds five more hours overall, but, I really couldn't see flying 16 hours each way for a three day trip.  Luckily, I'm a teacher, so, I can take the couple extra days. I'm just happy I didn't book a room yet.  Allthough now I'm leery of booking a room in case it changes again.