Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Racial Profiling by flight attendant

Toi652001
Explorer C

I was recently on Southwest flight 4713 San Diego to Oakland when the flight attendant questioned my friend about a drink he had in his hand but did not question any of the other customers about their drinks. It was apparent my friend was racially profiled because he was black and no white customers with drinks were stopped and questioned. Is it a Southwest policy to question customers regarding their drinks when they are boarding?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Racial Profiling by flight attendant

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Toi652001 wrote:

I was recently on Southwest flight 4713 San Diego to Oakland when the flight attendant questioned my friend about a drink he had in his hand but did not question any of the other customers about their drinks. It was apparent my friend was racially profiled because he was black and no white customers with drinks were stopped and questioned. Is it a Southwest policy to question customers regarding their drinks when they are boarding?

It would be if the staff thought it was an adult beverage, as it isn't allowed to bring an alcoholic drink from the terminal onto the aircraft. I have seen Southwest question people (of all types) about this before. 

Passengers have brought these types of beverages onto the aircraft as well, sometimes the type of cup might be more or less obvious, or open to question, or if the passenger was calling attention to themselves it might be more likely to be asked about.

One funnier one that I saw was a group of retired folks that brought them onto the aircraft and didn't realize it wasn't allowed and maybe weren't questioned about it due to their age. I mentioned to them that they might have gotten away with one and they were a little bit surprised. (But didn't voluntarily relinquish either.)

Anyway, I hope that the situation might be explained by type of cup that was being used which may have stood out, or some other factor.  If not, then you probably would need to call customer service about it as this is a customer-to-customer community and we wouldn't be able to remedy a profiling situation or provide any perspective directly from Southwest. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.