Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Rapid covid test

laurynfaron
Explorer C

We have a Mexico trip planned in March! Our entire family has since recovered from COVID & will be in our 90 day window. My daughter and I will be able to present a lab result and a letter of recovery. However, my husband got a rapid test, which was obviously not sent to a lab. We don’t have a lab result, but we do have a written statement from his doctor stating he had COVID and has sense recovered. We also have the letter from the health department stating that he tested positive. 

Has anyone else experienced this? I don’t want to get stuck in Mexico with a toddler... Is there a number to call? Or a way to pre-submit paperwork for approval?

thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Rapid covid test

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Information about what can be used when returning to the US can be found here.  Hopefully that answers your questions.

--TheMiddleSeat

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

@laurynfaron , I am so happy to know your family recovered from the virus, and we can't wait to welcome you onboard! I just got back from Mexico myself, and the return was seamless. Below are the COVID requirements for your situation. 

1. Each Passenger will be required to submit a signed attestation form. If you are traveling with others, they will also have to fill out the form. If you do not complete the form prior to arriving at the airport, you will need to do so at the airport prior to boarding. Southwest will email this form to you when you arrive at your destination. We got it two days into our five day trip.
  2. Evidence of recent recovery from COVID-19 including both (a) a signed letter on letterhead from a licensed healthcare provider or public health official that you have recovered from COVID-19 and are cleared for travel and (b) Physical or electronic documentation of a COVID-19 positive viral test result obtained within the 90 days preceding your flight to the United States. So, just obtain documentation of his rapid test results, and you'll have enough!

TIP: On our return, we were not expecting that Mexican security screening requires an attestation form before permitting anyone into the security line. They pointed to a QR code at the entry that allowed folks to complete this on their smart phones, but we kept getting log in errors and the service was not great. Save yourself the hassle and request a paper form from the Southwest ticket counter when you arrive. This is what it looks like below. (Please disregard my penmanship and clear struggle in filling it out lol).

mex return.png

Nicole
Community Manager

laurynfaron
Explorer C

Thank you so much!! So, that is the issue. Since it was rapid, it was not sent to a lab! You literally look at the test, and if there are two lines, it’s positive. So, we don’t actually have a “lab result.” We can get our NP to sign a paper stating it was a positive result. 

since it said we need both 1) a positive lab result and 2) a letter of recovery... I wasn’t sure what form of “lab result” was accepted. Will they take a written result?

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@laurynfaron Apologies for misunderstanding! Southwest is following the order required by the CDC within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. According to the order, your husband's test would not qualify.

Here is what I found on the CDC website:

Can I get a rapid test?

Rapid tests are acceptable as long as they are a viral test acceptable under the Order.

Does an at home test qualify?

The Order requires a lab report to be presented to the airline or to public health officials upon request. A home specimen collection kit that is tested in a laboratory should meet the requirements, if such methods have been authorized by the country’s national health authorities. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

I'm sorry that's not the news you were hoping for! He will need physical or electronic documentation of a qualifying COVID-19 negative viral test taken within 3 calendar days preceding your flight’s return to the U.S. Hopefully your hotel either offers a test or can advise you on where he can get tested. 

Nicole
Community Manager

LD3S
Explorer C

I'm thrilled to say that we are traveling to Mexico as well in March!  We are fortunate to say, that we have NOT tested positive for the coronavirus nor have we had symptoms.  I contacted our resort in Riviera Maya and they told us that the resort will be offering testing for their guests at the resort.  We can schedule our tests on check-in to make sure they we get them 3 days prior to departure.  The labs at the resort are offering 2 kinds of tests: a PCR for $110 per person and a Rapid for $25 per person.  The CDC says that reentering the US will require: "A viral test means a viral detection test for current infection (i.e., a nucleic acid amplification test or a viral antigen test)."  So can we get the $25 test?  Will that be acceptable?  Please advise and thank you.