Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Reclining Seat Conflicts

mbowlespa
Explorer C

I am one of those people who gets furious with the person in front of me who reclines since I work on my laptop while flying.  I wish no seats reclined at all; however, there will always be "those people" who don't care that they are getting into my space.  I have a new method for dealing with this, and it's simple.  When I start looking for my seat, I ask the person in the seat in front whether he/she plans to recline.  If they say "yes," I move on.  Simple and polite.  Saves stress on both parties.  I used to just go to the exit rows since those seats don't recline; however, I've found that the family with kids seems to always pick those rows right in back of the exit rows.  This way is better. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Reclining Seat Conflicts

brikeyes
Explorer C

that is good to ask , that is very polite of you and logical.

I am one of the reclieners and this is good way to remove conflict

Jikker
Explorer B

I should start trying this.  I lost a laptop due to a recliner crunching it unexpectedly, but since my parents both enjoy reclining their seats, I understand people wanting to recline.

Nice suggestion.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Jikker wrote:

I should start trying this.  I lost a laptop due to a recliner crunching it unexpectedly, but since my parents both enjoy reclining their seats, I understand people wanting to recline.

Nice suggestion.

It doesn't seem unreasonable for someone to turn around and look behind them while providing a slight warning of the impending recline.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Personally, I never recline in coach (or on Southwest) unless there's no one behind me. Even then, I don't find the reclined position to be much more comfortable than non-reclined. I have my laptop crunched (luckily not permanently damaged -- yet) multiple times by people who slam their seatback back with no warning. As much as I hate the latest Southwest seats (slimline, in Max and some 800s) at least they've limited the range of recline. (One silver lining at least.)  😉

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Personally, I never recline in coach (or on Southwest) unless there's no one behind me. Even then, I don't find the reclined position to be much more comfortable than non-reclined. I have my laptop crunched (luckily not permanently damaged -- yet) multiple times by people who slam their seatback back with no warning. As much as I hate the latest Southwest seats (slimline, in Max and some 800s) at least they've limited the range of recline. (One silver lining at least.)  😉

I don't prefer reclining most times either, and happy to let the person behind me keep their airspace/trayspace.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@chgoflyer wrote:

I don't prefer reclining most times either, and happy to let the person behind me keep their airspace/trayspace.

I can't remember the last time I reclined my seat and personally don't see a need for it. The difference between the fully upright and fully reclined position really isn't that noticeable to me. Now that tray tables are used primarily for laptops instead of Coke and peanuts, the airlines would be smart to reduce or eliminate recline all together.

On the flip side, I'm a tall guy and when I fly Economy on other airlines, my knees are planted firmly against the seat in front of me thanks to the less-than-adequate seat pitch other airlines get away with. Whoever sits in front of me isn't able to recline whether they want to or not. That doesn't happen on Southwest, thankfully.

infrequentflye2
Explorer C

I have a back problem that requires I be able to recline my seat or else I will be on the floor lying down flat. At that point I would be physically unable to comply with directions to sit or stand. So sorry if that bothers a person behind but no choice.

infrequentflye2
Explorer C

Well at my age I must recline my seat or suffer severe back pain so I must recline. Also I need to shift position from time to time. I am fine with politely letting the person behind know and would never just abruptly lean back but not reclining is not an option and telling me I cannot is unacceptable.