Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Reserve a seat

bluescorer
Explorer C

When boarding a flight from STL to CUN last week I asked a passenger if the seat next to him was taken. He said it was and further stated that the seat was reserved. He then flash a boarding pass that did indeed have printed on it reserved seat.

I thought it was all open seating. Can someone explain this? also can some one list the exact protocols for ORDER of boarding? Such as "A preferred, then A 16-30 then family, etc.

Thanks,

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Reserve a seat

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Southwest doesn't have a policy on saving seats so yes a person can dave a seat for a family member if they want. Another instance where a seat would be saved/reserved is when a customer of size buys 2 seats then they have 2 boarding passes and place one that says seat reserved on the seat next to them and that middle seat would remain open on the flight. 

-Blake

YeahNoMaybe
Adventurer A
Solution

I have seen this before.  I once sat in a row with a passenger who told me he had purchased two seats because of his size.

I remember he placed a boarding pass in the middle seat that said something like "Seat Reserved" in bold print.

bluescorer
Explorer C

Yes. this person was "of size". Although I have had people "of much more size" sit next to me in the middle.

bec102896
Aviator A

Not everyone is aware of that policy where if they are a customer of size they can buy a 2nd seat and get it refunded later or just get a 2nd seat free at the gate on day of departure. Others just hate having that conversation with a gate agent because well it's weird "hey can i have a 2nd seat because I'm big"

Personally I think for those who use the COS policy they should have a more noticeable piece of paper not just a boarding pass because I do see people get upset because others think they are just saving seats when in fact they have a right in this case vs the regular debate of saving seats which is a whole other ball game. 

-Blake 

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

is this limited to persons of size? Can I buy two seats just to guarantee an empty seat next to me?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Just FYI @ffflyer  it would be best to start a separate thread on your own question, but the answer is “no” because you would have to check in with another boarding pass and board the plane twice.

Customers of Size have this option as discussed above, and I believe musicians can purchase a second seat for things like cellos. 

There may be a few other exceptions I’m not aware of, but they all involve bringing something onboard that can’t go in an overhead bin. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.