Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Reserving Seats On Southwest/Exit Row

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

As mentioned earlier, I'd suggest asking for some type of partial credit from Southwest.

Yep, one of your more ridiculous ideas. If you actually want to be useful and provide a helpful suggestion try saying, "contact Southwest, they may provide you with a voucher for the inconvenience."

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

So I was on a flight that was 200mi they didn’t serve drinks (no water, soda, alcohol) and no snacks the website says drinks will be served on flights over 176 miles should I get a refund for my flight because that cost is built in to my ticket? They said it would be turbulence the biggest bump was the landing. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Just move along everyone, this topic is completely made up, I have seen this zero times, there's not policy about it, it's ridiculous. I flagged it for moderator.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SouthwestNovice
Explorer C

@DancingDavidE it's not made up, but I'm glad you take enjoyment out of calling people liars. Nothing could possibly happen without you having witnessed it yourself is a terrible take.

The fact that there's not a policy about it and yet a SW customer service representative stated this was was a thing and why it likely happened is the reason I posted. I mean I've never seen you fly frequently to MCO to visit the mouse, but I don't think you're lying about it. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SouthwestNovice wrote:

@DancingDavidE it's not made up, but I'm glad you take enjoyment out of calling people liars. Nothing could possibly happen without you having witnessed it yourself is a terrible take.

I'm not enjoying this at all.

They do not hold the exit row in advance for people requesting it.

SouthwestNovice
Explorer C

So here's what we know or at least I know since I experienced it:

The flight attendant physically blocked open seats on an exit row and prohibited customers from taking those open seats and said they were for someone else. 

She then moved and allowed people who boarded later in the process to take said seats.

When customer service was called this morning and asked about it, the SW rep said the company has an open seating policy ( we all know and acknowledge), the company has no policy for or against saving seats by other passengers (we know and acknowledge) and that the company has no policy about flight attendants saving seats for passengers.

Customer service rep then said that going to the gate and specifically requesting the exit row ahead of time and having those seats held for you was a thing. When asked how that could be an allowable thing since it would violate the open seating policy for the company to then actually have staff reserve seats and also would undercut the need to buy early access or being priority and having A group status, she said it was a thing because of the reasons stated above....that the flight crew likes to know they have people who can handle the specific duties required of passengers seating in the exit row so they will accommodate said gate request to be placed in the exit row if asked.

All of the above was why I posted. None of it seemed correct, yet it came from a spokesperson for the company so I shared it because the entire experience was quite frustrating but none of us involved wanted to cause a scene on the plane.

It did, however, leave us with a bad taste in our mouths about flying SW again because of the frustration of the experience. And admittedly, I'm still quite frustrated and not pleased based on the answer I shared that was from customer service that it's just a thing.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SouthwestNovice wrote:

So here's what we know or at least I know since I experienced it:

The flight attendant physically blocked open seats on an exit row and prohibited customers from taking those open seats and said they were for someone else. 

She then moved and allowed people who boarded later in the process to take said seats.

When customer service was called this morning and asked about it, the SW rep said the company has an open seating policy ( we all know and acknowledge), the company has no policy for or against saving seats by other passengers (we know and acknowledge) and that the company has no policy about flight attendants saving seats for passengers.

Customer service rep then said that going to the gate and specifically requesting the exit row ahead of time and having those seats held for you was a thing. When asked how that could be an allowable thing since it would violate the open seating policy for the company to then actually have staff reserve seats and also would undercut the need to buy early access or being priority and having A group status, she said it was a thing because of the reasons stated above....that the flight crew likes to know they have people who can handle the specific duties required of passengers seating in the exit row so they will accommodate said gate request to be placed in the exit row if asked.

All of the above was why I posted. None of it seemed correct, yet it came from a spokesperson for the company so I shared it because the entire experience was quite frustrating but none of us involved wanted to cause a scene on the plane.

It did, however, leave us with a bad taste in our mouths about flying SW again because of the frustration of the experience. And admittedly, I'm still quite frustrated and not pleased based on the answer I shared that was from customer service that it's just a thing.

Was it a through flight where people were already on the plane, but had requested to go airside and come back?

Otherwise there is some other information missing. They don't reserve an exit row for someone that walks up and asks even if this is what you heard on the phone.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I will agree that, if true, there is more to the story.  The most plausible explanation would be people who exit the plane and then reboard during a stop and departure.

As mentioned earlier, I questioned the Southwest CS agent thoroughly about such a practice and there are no reserved seats - PERIOD.

I also agree, close the discussion.