Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Retaliation from a SUPERVISOR!

LH
Explorer C

I flew from Rochester, NY to Baltimore, MD earlier today.  When they called for preboarding  I got in line...I happened to be first.  I guess I didn't look "disabled enough" as Mark, the supervisor asked me to stand aside as he had a wheelchair passenger.  I told him I had a wheelchair designation as well but that I'd let an elderly woman take it from the bathroom as her wheelchair assistant had abandoned her.  He rudely told me, "I said STEP ASIDE!"  I asked him why I wasn't allowed.to board

He responded, "Because you're not in a wheelchair."  So, I sat in the next wheelchair available and was again next in line.  He laughed and pushed my wheelchair out of the way and proceeded to take every other wheelchair before mine.  There was another man also boarding  wheelchairs that he was seen snickering.  This other man also ignored me sitting there.  Thankfully I recorded the entire thing.  When he saw me recording he mockingly looked into my phone and "fixed " his hair.  This is despicable behavior and should not be tolerated by Southwest!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Retaliation from a SUPERVISOR!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You're welcome to submit your comments directly to Southwest.  Use the contact us link at the bottom of the page and send a message.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

It’s common for them to take wheelchairs down before preboarders who are walking down on the 20+ flights I’ve been on this year alone that's how it has worked most of the time because it takes longer to get a person out of a wheelchair and onboard the aircraft. 

Did the few people in front of you who were also pre boards make that much of a difference? I would have just sat down and waited until they were ready for me if that meant I ended up in row 5 instead of 1 oh well 

you were still able to preboard just not first 

LH
Explorer C

My point was that this man acted childish, unprofessional and retaliatory.  This is in direct violation of SW's own policies.  And I, too fly several times per year and have never had a concern. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

Although not really specified in the Southwest preboarding, the people seated in a wheelchair are first to preboard.  I preboard as well but I don't need a wheelchair.  So, those people will board first, then those of us who walk preboard next.

The only suggestion that I would recommend is to request a wheelchair next time and you will be given a wheelchair.  However, those in line will board before you if they are already in a wheelchair.

Being rude is not acceptable.  I would suggest filing a complaint with Southwest and also copy your complaint to the Department of Transportation citing a potential violation of the Air Carrier Access Act.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

I would suggest filing a complaint with Southwest and also copy your complaint to the Department of Transportation citing a potential violation of the Air Carrier Access Act.

And what violation would that be??? 

floridaguy
Aviator C

Interfering with an individual's rights to be accommodated under the Act.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Was she allowed to pre board?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@floridaguy wrote:

Was she allowed to pre board?

@dfwskier we all know how much of a legal expert @floridaguy is, I can't believe you would ever question anything he says about legal matters.  😆😅

--TheMiddleSeat